Topic

Seeking regular backpacking/wilderness partners in the SF area for Yosemite and Sierras

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Seeking regular backpacking/wilderness partners in the SF area for Yosemite and Sierras

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Backpacking partner sought for intermediate->advanced backcountry activities.

I'm looking for a partner (or 2 or 3 ) for intermediate to advanced backpacking
    activies in the Sierra Nevadas, Yosemite, and really every major national park
    in the US.

I've been doing this mostly by myself to date but there are a lot of benefits to
    having a partner:

– split up work required for planning the trip
    – safety in numbers. If one of us seriously injured the other can help with
    medical
    – split costs and the task of driving
    – reduce weight by sharing gear

You should be in excellent shape, have the right gear, and be ready and eager to
    take on some serious challenges.

I'm also looking to take more weekend trips. Maybe take Friday and Monday off
    too and head out the night before, sleep at the trail head, then head in for a
    few days.

I'm 34, white male, work in the tech industry.

[email protected]

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Kevin, depending on where you are located, you might find that there are already well-organized outdoor groups that do this. You tag along on one of their organized trips and meet some people. Later on, you might lead.

The Sierra Club comes to mind.

–B.G.–

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

Where I live meetup.com has huge hiking groups.

Scott Gustafson

@scott_gus

Locale: Northern California

Yup meetup.com is how I met all my backpacking buddies not to mention my gf. Check out the bay area backpacking buddies… we go on a bunch of trips and you can always find people to go on trips with you. Just post on the forum and make sure you say how hard it is so you get the right people. Or hell I'm always up for a challenge!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Or you come along to the annual BPL meetup…this year it is on Presidents Birthday weekend…Cache Creek…..I know it is a shameless plug, but hey, you meet tons of hikers, plus you get to play with others gear.

kevin smith

@divr6347

the bpl meetups are fantastic only two guys you need to watch out for are ken thompson and ken helwig everyone else is good to hang with LOL

just kidding

kevin

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

LOL… and if you are shivering in the middle of the night don't let your teeth chatter too loud less the mob will get ya! ;)

The BPL meetup was great, I'm glad I made the last one despite having walking pneumonia. Definitely recommended.

I also just met some folks from Bay Area Backpacking Buddies on the Ohlone Wilderness Trail and camped with them. I'm signed up over there now as well and there seem to be quite a few people and meetups in that group.

Adam Hemphill

@ahemphill

Locale: Bay Area

I'm in the city. Give me a shout.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

hey now…Kevin, where was the Jack commment??????

Yeah last years was pretty cold..snow, showers, cold….this years will be epic. And I do suggest that all come to this. This years will be much, much better than last year!

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I might be in for a trip or 2. What exactly constitutes advanced backpacking activities?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I bp some still with a bunch from "down there". They are scattered around the area, Oakland, Petuluma, Sacramento, Santa Rosa etc. Try a post on the Yahoo group, NorthCA Hiking. One of the Ken's is a member there. Facebook has about killed us off. I'm up in the northern Sierra. We go all over, the coast, Sierra, good mix of ages too. I just went on a overnighter with a few this last weekend to the 1,000 Lakes Wilderness.

Duane

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Duane That's me…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I KNEW it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Why yes.

phil gordon

@pgordon88

I live in sf and tahoe and am usually down for any trip in the sierras. How about doing something next weekend? [email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools