Topic

SMD Haven for 2 or Lunar Duo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Haven for 2 or Lunar Duo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

Looking at the SMD Haven tarp/nettent for me (5'10" 170 lbs) and my wife (5'4" 115 lbs). Worried about space in the nettent, which we would always use, though the straight walls make think it might be enough width. The larger Lunar Duo seems a decent alternative for more space but I don't know about the single wall portions and condensation and, of course, it adds some weight. We've been in a Sierra Designs tent 50/50 single/double and have some condensation issues but never too bad as we live in a dry-ish climate in southeast Idaho – spend time in Sawtooths, White Clouds, Frank Church, etc.

Anyone have experience with the livability of the Haven combo (vs the Duo) for 2 people? I don't like the idea of having to order both to try out just to send one back (thought that may be the best option) and probably won't get to Oregon to try on site.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Sorry for the post just trying to help since you are new.Have a good day:)I'm a tarp person myself.

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Thanks, Anna.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I can't compare the two, not having used the Haven, but I can say that my wife and I love the Lunar Duo. Yes, there is some occasional condensation, but the over livability of the tent vastly overcomes that for us. The interior room is just wonderful. YMMV, of course.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Hi Shawn,

I have the 2011 SMD Haven and love it.
    The Haven net-tent is 4 feet wide with vertical walls with doors
    on each side. The net tent is a little more than 8 feet long.
    So you can decide if this is enough room for you and your wife.

In a rain storm I have unclipped one side of the mesh to
    set my canister stove on the ground under the highest part of the
    tarp to cook. Of course, be extremely careful with flame around
    any tent.

The Lunar Duo is also a great tent. It is larger inside and
    a bit heavier. I chose the Haven because I live in a very
    humid, rainy area and condensation here on a single wall tent is
    a fact of life. With the double wall Haven I don't have to
    worry about brushing up against a wet tent wall.

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Thanks for the responses so far. I don't use trekking poles but my wife does. Hers are the fixed length BD Z-poles (very nice!). Will the Haven and/or Duo accommodate a 47" pole (46" to the bale)?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

We have last year's model of the Haven. Some dimensions have probably been changed.

The inside dimensions of the inner net are huge compared to other two person tents we've tried.
    It is wide enough for two WIDE thermarest pads and long enough to store all of our gear at our head and/or feet.

The inside area compares to most three person tents.
    We have slept in ours at least 50 nights since we got it and my wife loves it.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have the Lunar Duo and my wife and I fit great inside it and we like it (I am 5'10" and 200 pounds, she is 5'2" and 90 pounds). I have only used it about 5 times though with both of us in it. I have used it a few more times just in the backyard or around home by myself. Condensation can be an issue, but it can also be dealt with just fine. The biggest thing I had to get used to with the LD though is the way the floor moves. It literally hangs from the ceiling and being that it is silnylon, it will slide across the ground sheet pretty easily. Meaning, if the tent is pitched on any sort of a slope (even slightly) we will wake up in a different spot than we started. What worries me about this is that I don't want to wake up and find that the floor has torn away from the ceiling. One thing I did to fix this was to paint some silicone dots and stripes on the outside bottom of the floor. This has helped a lot.

Here is a little write up I did on my LD when I got it:

http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/six-moon-designs-lunar-duo/

I do like the Haven, although I have no experience with it. I love that it is double walled, and I like that I can pitch it however I would like. Maybe just the net tent, or maybe just the tarp, or both. Also, since it is 2 pieces, it is super easy to split up the weight with another hiker (the tarp is 18 oz and the net tent is 14 oz).

If I were in the market right now I would really be focusing on the Haven. It is about a half a pound lighter, although it is about $40 more. As far as livable space, the Haven is only 6" narrower than the Lunar Duo (and considering the size of the Lunar Duo, I don't think 6" will really make a difference).

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

One other comparison between the Lunar Duo and the Haven is that the Haven with inner is a true double wall tent. The Lunar Duo is not.

Not much of a difference in most cases, but the Haven will be cooler in the summer as air can flow from all sides even with the fly on. Hot air rises through the top of the mesh and cooler air flows in through all sides when both fly doors are open.

The Lunar duo has less mesh and so potentially hotter in summer and maybe a little more condensation.

The Lunar has it's advantages as well, I just haven't spent time in one to really compare.

Both are really good shelters and are liked by their owners.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I had the Lunar Duo and the size is great but switched to the Haven last year and my wife and I have really enjoyed it. It has plenty of room,the venting is great, but best of all when you set up and tear down the inner tent stays dry. We have used it in Northern Mn in late fall, The Wind River Range last year in a hellacious hail storm and just got back from the West Coast Trail. Great tent.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools