Topic

Bear Spray

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I was curious how many of you carry bear spray when in areas that have grizzlies. Do you think most backpackers do? I'm going to be running a route in the Tetons and thought it might be a good idea to carry some. I've never carried spray before but seems like grizzly encounters are becoming more common.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi – yes, absolutely.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

There are a lot of Grizzly bears here in the Tetons. Carry bear spray – ESPECIALLY if you are running.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

After just getting back from a big trip in the Alaskan bush without bear spray, I have decided to add it for next time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Ryan, did the nice little fuzzy-wuzzies come out to great you?

–B.G.–

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

why do u have bear spray in japan, I thought there were no bears there?

Air horns don't do anything to an aggressive bear. is your life worth the $20 difference of the bear spray and air horns here?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Not the bear spray conundrum again….(runs away screaming and waving my arms in the air)…….

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

You can get some really tiny and lightweight air horns (cheap, too). Unfortunately, they are not nearly as loud and obnoxious as the big ones.

In June, I was in Yellowstone (grizzly country), so I carried either bear spray, a bear flare, or both. It would be just my luck to run into a grizzly that was deaf.

–B.G.–

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Lot's of bear bells though."

Sounds like a marketplace that is just ripe for titanium bear bells. You wouldn't want to have just ordinary steel bells.

But then some Japanese engineer will develop an electronic bear bell so that you can vary the pitch and loudness, and they are powered like a self-winding watch.

–B.G.–

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

One option to add to bear spray to prevent an encounter is a loud noise maker. Signal cartridges, fired with a pen-style launcher are supposedly effective and are actually pretty small and light.

bear signal

They're basically the same as firing a gun off which is what a lot of people that "protect" themselves with a gun are mostly likely to use it for.

Edit: link on bear deterrents:

http://www.bearsmart.com/bear-management/non-lethal/tools

Interesting piece from the site:

"Research suggests that bear spray on objects or the ground may actually act as an attractant to bears. Since bear spray is a stable weather-resistant compound, it may retain its attractant properties for days or months. Bear spray should be cleaned from objects and the ground after use to avoid attracting bears (Smith 1998). Canisters, that have been fired, should also be cleaned or stored in bear-proof locations."

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I have a vague idea that those may be banned in the national parks. You would need to ask them, and it would vary from park to park.

In most national parks, fireworks are banned. Firearms are legal to be carried, but you can't fire them unless you have a life-or-death situation. A Yellowstone grizzly charging at you may be life-or-death. A Yosemite black bear prowling around your tent may not be.

–B.G.–

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

@Bob: No, the cute little fuzzy guys did not meet us but they were EVERYWHERE. Brooks Camp at Katmai was an interesting experience. There were sightings in Lake Clark too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Brooks Camp at Katmai was an interesting experience."

In my first hour there, I had an up-close experience with brown bears.

I got off the float plane and attended the mandatory bear safety video. Then I grabbed my sixty pounds or so of gear and started walking up the beach toward the campground. When I was halfway there, I heard somebody running up fast behind me, so I started to turn to look over my left shoulder. A half-grown bear ran right past me like I wasn't there. I could have reached out and brushed it as it went by me. Then about five paces behind, another half-grown bear was chasing the first one. Wow. Then about twenty paces behind them, the full-grown bear was chasing the half-growns. None of them even looked at me, so I guess I wasn't on the menu.

That is when I came to appreciate the electric fence around the campground.

–B.G.–

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Yup, similar experiences at Katmai. We saw a bear on the beach literally 30 seconds after walking out of bear orientation. The rangers told us not to worry about the bears chasing each other (like you saw), they are not interested in us. We were walking past the lodge one evening when a sub-adult come charging right out of the woods 3 feet in front of us. That kind of freaked some of the people in the group. Lake Clark was uneventful but we did observe a brown bear mother and cubs from a distance.

I am actually more scared of the black bears out here in the Eastern US than Alaska because they have become so accustomed to human food. Dumb people feeding them in the Smoky Mountains does not help either.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

My estimation is that brown bears and grizzly bears are much more dangerous than black bears. They are larger, more unpredictable, and more lethal. Black bears can be problematic because they are very intelligent and very curious, but not so lethal. Black bears seem better at solving problems, opening things, and getting into mischief.

I would never consider wasting a perfectly good can of bear spray on a black bear unless it already had my leg in its jaws. For a grizz, though, I might value having a second can of it handy.

–B.G.–

Brad L
    BPL Member

@blengkeek

Sometimes the black bears take care of themselves with their curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjY9sKdHlY

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I would not waste time on noise makers, especially flares that could start a fire. A full sized can of bear spays if you are running. Two cans of bear spray if you are hiking and can carry a bit more (they go fast).

Now the important thing. Bear spray cans are rather fragile. Probably easier to puncture than a soft drink can. You do not want to drop it on a sharp rock! I suggest the neoprene holsters that pad it a bit more. Don’t have it dangle off the pack where you can lose it or burst it. I’d suggest a small bar of soap in the first aid kit. If you have bear spray on you its helps.

Bear spray is great stuff but you have to respect it.

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

I have search high and low for a source to purchase signal cartridges (bear bangers) in the U.S. and have not found one. I have also noted that they appear to be illegal in the U.S. due to their explosive status and can not be mailed/shipped to your destination. From a paddler’s perspective, bear bangers are more advantageous when being approached out of curiosity while still on the water. Once in the Gates of the Arctic coming out of a blind bend a grizzly spied us from about 200 yards out. The wind carried our voices and scent away from him. The bear slowly approached us and did not appear to recognize us. The fast current brought us with 25 yards of the bear before we were able to beach the canoe on the opposite shoreline and step out at which point it fled into the brush. I believe the bear would have fled if we had fired off a bear banger upon being approached.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Worth I believe some bear bangers are legal in Canada but not USA, don’t quote me though.

I do know guys who specialize in such things were able to get 12 gauge “firecracker ” shells to fire at overly curious bears around construction sites and such. I think they fell out of favor because occasionally they would go beyond the bear and you’d have a scared bear running towards you, not ideal. Now the preferred method seems to be rubber slugs at 30 to 50 yards. But not UL. But good for oil or mining companies who answer to OSHA if a bear mauls an employee (and you can’t pack up and move a work site).

Personally I’m reasonably happy with just bear spray and/or a light 10mm. My theory is most bear encounters short of a full on charge can be handled nicely by a good yell. I’ve had multiple grizzly bears leave when they heard me holler “hey bear.”

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

I used bear spray once.   I got some on my hand.   Then I had to pee.   It was bad.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

I live in grizzly country. I sometimes, but rarely, carry spray.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Quick PSA: Bear spray is not like bug repellent. Videos somewhere of Alaskan bears rolling around on sprayed bushes, the way dogs like to roll around on stinky stuff. And too many Internet stories of people spraying their kids. One spray maker changed their label.

— Rex

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I always carry bear spray, but have only ever used it on dogs. (Works!) Also nice to have in case of creepers. I know a few folks who have been mauled or stalked. Nice to have something along to defend yourself. But making noise is the number one protection; just because you’re carrying something doesn’t negate the need for taking other precautions, like proper clean camp, food storage and just letting the bears know where you are so you don’t surprise one. I don’t find it inconvenient to carry it any more; it’s like my hat, it just goes on when I go hiking.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools