Topic

Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Less than 2 months away now!

@Sheila
    Family is overrated. Come hiking!

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

Ken H.–

Keep me in mind as a "maybe" for a saturday-sunday version, or for driving up Friday after work and camping at the trailhead.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Woodstoves preferred.

I am thinking that temps could get to near freezing. I expect no snow though.

Jack. You don't need to prove anything.

I will ask people to RSVP as we get closer to the date.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

If there is still room available I would love to come. This sounds like a blast!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

@Erik. Come on up!

There'll be plenty of food.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I dreamt last night that I was out there but forgot my poncho or a rain jacket and it started snowing then turned to rain. At least now I have been forewarned and will make sure I pack everything.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I already "signed up" so I am just bumping it. So excited, can't wait, love that area. Thursday night car camping nearby or what?
    Go ahead and bring the snow Jack; it's all good.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Ken,

I'm in. As in, For sure In. Put me down on any rsvp list you start to conjure up.

I'm planning on driving myself from the bay area, probably to car camp Thursday night. Anyone else from this neck of the woods feel free to tag along. Anyone else coming from the south, lets work out stashing other cars and taking a full load of people up there.

Can't wait.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I was thinking of camping at Bridge camp right at the trailhead Thurs.
    James, Glad you are coming!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

I'm up for a Thursday night start………..

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nathan if you are down, I can do. I can leave work between 1:30 and 2:30 if you are interested. Not sure how long it takes to get there though. Camp at trailhead and hike in the next day??

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

So Ken, you guys are hiking in on Sat. Where will you all be camping on Sat.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Will be set up in beautiful Morris Meadow. When you see the view of the meadow in this photo, look to your left. We should be over near the creek.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

That is pretty easy. Not to be a pain, what highway is this off of, or basically what is the directions? You can email me if need be. I am pretty sure that I can make this for a night

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

That looks so fun.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

It will be great fun. Fantastic group of people.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

How to get there…

Get yourself to HWY 299. This would be in Redding if you are coming via I-5.

West of I-5 on HWY 299 you will come to the town of Weaverville and the junction with HWY 3. Take the 3 north.

You will pass a boat ramp and cross a bridge in about 15 minutes or so of leaving 299.

Immediately after the bridge turn left onto Trinity Alps Rd.

Drive slowly through the resort. Follow this road for a short distance until you get to the campground on your left, with the trailhead parking area just beyond.

I could supply a GPS coordinate if needed.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions also.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Ken H.–

I'm skeptical about being able to leave work before 5 p.m. on Friday, which would mean getting in around 9 p.m. and pitching trailhead camp in the dark. But I've got some time to see if I can finagle an earlier departure.

Any other working stiffs interested in a Friday night drive?

–Nathan

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

I going to try to make it. I'm from Indiana so that involves a flight. I've got some work ahead of me.

Is anybody a 'for sure' that will be passing by an airport such a Oakland or Sacramento? I'm a good carpool buddy I promise;->

Additional Questions:

Is this a hammock friendly trek(aka bears, trees,…)?
    Temps range to expect?

(I haven't researched those details of that area yet.)

thanks.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

We're all working stiffs Nathan…..You could sleep in your vehicle at the trailhead or leave at midnight and get there ready to hike, I've done that before

James, lots of trees perfect for hammocking : ) I think Sac. airport is closer.
    Ken will have to tell us about temps.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Should have pleasant temps during the day with temps at nights still above freezing.

Bears are around, but no canister required.

Hammock paradise.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

James,

I'm for sure heading up from San Francisco (via east bay, so oakland works too)

I was planning on leaving after work on Thursday, and then returning whenever on Sunday. If the timing works out, I'd be glad to offer a ride, although Sacramento will be closer for you if anyone else is coming from thataway.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Awesome. Thanks James. I'm trying to figure out my schedule and if my gf is coming too. She will have to get some warmer gear. I'll let you know if that timing works out. Looks like Oakland would be less out of your way.

So far I'm very serious about making the trip. I'll have things ironed out in about a week. And will confirm with you at that time.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Check out Weather Underground for current weather conditions in Trinity Center, CA. closer to trip time.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Not a problem, glad to help. I'm from Chicago, so getting a fellow midwesterner into the mountains is like some sort of karma thing I can never pass up.

It doesn't look like you have PM's set up yet, so I'll just finish this here:

If your shopping for flights and whatnot, Either SF or Oakland would work. I work in downtown SF and would probably drive direct from work. If you fly to oakland I can probably just drive straight there and pick you up. If you fly to SFO, it would make more sense for you to take the BART to downtown SF, than for me to get you. BART is super easy, (so long as it's not shutdown by protesters!!)

Plenty of time to figure this out, but I don't feel constrained by one airport over the other.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 260 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools