Topic

Necessity of Sleeping Pads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Necessity of Sleeping Pads?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ian Nystrom

@iannystrom

After the second backpacking trip of mine, where I was lugging around 70+ pounds of crap, (A lot of that was water, I'm not that crazy…) I've decided to get a smaller pack and attempt to cover more distance instead of bringing a ton of food and stuff. Like mark Jenkins! but really, I've just bought REI's new Pinnacle 50 pack, their first geared towards climbing. I'll be reviewing it once I get back from Australia and New Zealand. I did a little simulation pack when I got home and after giving up some luxury extra clothes and what not, found that it seems to fit everything I'd want to bring, including climbing gear!

But I still had rig the sleeping pad on the outside. That's where I am now.

I hat walking around with sleeping pads rigged to the outside of my pack. It's fokin annoying. I've tried it without a sleeping pad before, and it was definitely not as comfortable, but I think I'm willing to give one up for the sake of, feeling more one with the trail… Maybe it's just because mine's to big or something, but I'm asking YOU guys. Do you ever leave the pad at home?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

That might be doable in milder conditions, especially with a good layer of duff, moss, or even pine needles, but you'd likely freeze in Winter.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

How cold might some of your nights be? One of the critical uses of a sleeping pad (apart from comfort and quality of sleep) is keeping your body from losing heat from beneath you. I would argue this is a factor even when the night time low is in the 50s Fahrenheit but it only gets more important the lower then temperature is.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I did no pad many times when younger, sometimes in winter. I froze.

You might be able to fit the pad inside if it's the first thing which goes in. Let it unroll, then fill the "burrito" with your gear. Or, fold it up against your back panel and stuff your gear in.

Consider a new piece of gear. :) I just use an inflatable air mattress which is the size of a 1 liter Nalgene bottle when rolled. I never have problems packing it.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Never.
    Used to use an older model z-rest which folded up into a rectangle but got tired of trying to find a spot for it on the outside of my ULA CDT pack. Went with a Neo Air which rolls up about the size of a 32 oz nalgene and will easily fit anywhere in or on my pack. Nice and warm and soft, too!

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

In the far past I used a .5 inch heavy foam pad. Now I use a Neoair or Kookabay plus a thin GG pad. Comfort and insulation, small and light. Or make a natural bed with materials at hand but leaving a trace.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

If you hammock, you can leave the pad at home and use an underquilt instead. ;)

tommy d

@vinovampire

If you really hate carrying a sleeping mat, just empty out your backpack and use the Pinnacle 50's frame to keep your torso off the ground. Problem solved.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I always have pad.

I use a small Prolite in conjunction with a Z-seat sit pad for my feet. The Prolite takes up very little space and is just enough padding and warmth. I typically load it completely uninflated and folded and placed against my back. My pack liner goes in next, so the pad is nicely tucked in for the trip. It can be rolled to near Nalgene size and tucked into a cranny. Folded in quarters it is 12"x20"x5/8" and that can be varied to your pack size. If your pack is loose, you can load it with the valve up and add a little air stiffen it all up a bit. You can do the "round column" loading trick too and inflate to suit. 11oz on my scale.

The Z-seat has been so handy for sitting, a clean foot pad to change socks and clothing, a cozy for bagged dinners, kitchen table, and extending my sleeping pad. It rides in the outer pocket of my pack, folded in half and ready to deploy at a rest stop. It is 1.9oz that I can afford.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Spelt quipped, "If you hammock, you can leave the pad at home and use an underquilt instead…."

He's already space challenged so the hammock and accessories would send him over the edge. A comfortable edge, but still :)

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

I'd probably sleep better on a pad with just a light jacket than I would without a pad and in an appropriately rated sleeping bag. Makes a large difference.

A. B.

@tomswifty

I often forgot my pad in Scouts; I was often uncomfortable and cold on Scout trips.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools