Topic

Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip Hammock Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip Hammock Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

look at the tieouts on a hennessy or warbonnet. staking the hammock out this way prevents continuous movement. i have only experienced 'swinging' in my warbonnet one time, in 40 mph gusts in the San Juans.. but that was the least of my problems at the time. the fact is, i could have prevented this motion (but the cold wind was what was killin me) with a simple re-adjustment pitch of my tarp.. however, hammocks contribute a great amount to laziness, so i "toughed" it out. :)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

The first couple times I used mine I had bouts of mild vertigo for 24-48 hours afterwards. It didn't help that this was in winter and the wind blew all night. After that I haven't had any problems. I get wickedly seasick and was worried I wouldn't be able to hack it, but I've found that unless there's a stiff wind you can't avoid, the rocking is minimal, even without the sides tied out. I think your experience will depend on how severe your vertigo is, as objectively the amount of movement is slight.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Thanks all for your advice.

I just may have to pass on a hammock at this time. Maybe I can try one before I commit. Hopefully the docs can figure this out. It started 8 months ago and if I don't sleep with my head propped above my feet, then I have an episode the next day. Luckily, mother nature usually provides a good lazyboy-type spot to camp in filled with nice soft forest duff.

Enjoy

Dave

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

My father and I just got home from 10 days in the Wind River Range. I currently use a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 with an Exped Synmat UL7. The tent is a very light freestanding tent and the Exped is aloooot better than the 3 different Thermarests that I own. However, on day 3 on a ridge above Island Lake, I strung up my Eno Hammock to a root and a small Douglas fur tree. I had the best view of the surrounding mtns and the best sleep yet. We always carry our Eno's for lounging and chairs,but after that night I spent the remaining nights in a hammock sleeping great and waking up refreshed! I've never woke up without something sore sleeping on the ground! I told my father on the way home "I'm done with tent camping unless my wife is with me!" And I meant it! The Hennessy Hyperlite is my Christmas present this year. It will assist in my lightweight endevours and great nights sleep. If you haven't overnighted in a hammock, try it ASAP! You won't be sorry!

michael mercer

@mmercer

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've been sleeping in my Hennessy Hyperlight for a few years now. I will not go back to the ground. I sleep so much better in a hammock. I have no trouble changing in the hammock and the ridge line doubles as the clothesline or just general storage. I added a small carabiner inside at the very ends to clip up my gear so I don't bump into anything when I am sleeping. I've not had any problems sleeping on my stomach but it requires a taught line when you set up the hammock. No worries about floods under running the tent either. But hammocks are not without their problems. First is that you have to be prepared to set it up on the ground if necessary. That means you need a sleeping pad. You may also find that mosquitos can bite through the bottom of the Hyperlight but not the Exped. You will also be quickly reminded of the signs that say "bridge freezes before road." You will be colder in a hammock – great in the hot summer but not so great in cooler weather. Lots of ideas for insulation but I find a sleeping pad and a quilt ideal and have taken the hammock down to 0F with that setup. I use a bigger fly that doubles as a place to hang out, cook, and eat. The hammock is also a great seat rather than sitting on the ground. I have three Hennessy hammocks and the scouts in my Troop are always begging to borrow one for our outings. Great product – try one out and see if it works for you.

Ryan Tir
    BPL Member

@ryan_t

Got a late Christmas present: HH Expedition Asym.

Can't wait to try this out in a couple of months.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools