Topic

Sleeping with your food in the Wind River Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Sleeping with your food in the Wind River Range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

If a tent smelled like bacon, *I* would probably open it up, too. Stupid people, smart bears. Important not to overestimate the intelligence of the former or underestimate the latter!

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Do you take your clothes off that you wore cooking your meal with? Those oddored clothes are more than enough for a bear to track back to your tent.

Its quite simple if you don't want bear problems. Don't bring super aromatic meats/foods backpacking and you will have no problems.

Most places I go there are no tall trees in which to "hang" your food. At least not to get it away from a bear.

I said to hang where they have been trained by moron humans. Think you folks could parse what that means? I sure thought most could. Seems you guys didn't understand or never read that part as your nether shorts got in a bunch before hand. Do all internet forum readers these days have a lack of reading acquity? Do I really have to limit all posts to under 10 words? Jeez.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Do all internet forum readers these days have a lack of reading acquity? "

It's just that it is so hard to understand what you wrote with that spelling.

–B.G.–

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

"Do all internet forum readers these days have a lack of reading acquity? "

Is this a troll, or is someone posting when they have had a few too many?

a b

@ice-axe

Acuity

— n

1. keenness or acuteness, esp in vision or thought

2. the capacity of the eye to see fine detail, measured by determining the finest detail that can just be detected
    [ from Latin acūtus acute ]

Heck, I have been guilty of PWI myself.
    I am almost totally sober now though…
    I slept on my food the entire distance of the CDT and AT.
    I only used a bear canister for the Sierra on the PCT.
    Every thru hiker i met slept on top of or with their food.
    The only guy to have a problem at guffy camp was the dude using an ursack.
    The bear mauled the sack until he shooed it away. the rest of us slept soundly that night.. atop our food.
    There are places in the Wind River range, like Shannon pass, that contain no trees.
    What i did there was find a crevice in the boulders and stuffed my food bag in as far as i could reach with my trekking poles. A cub might have been able to squeeze in there but a mama bear could not.
    As for rodents.. never had any food lost on any trail. A Packrat did chew a packstrap and stole a friends sock though.
    Mostly I just slept on top of my food bag. My un-washed thru hiker stink could kill a skunk at three hundred yards anyhow.
    If i were to do it all again, I would do exactly the same.
    Stealth camp+no cook+wrapping food in a nylofume bag+sleeping directly on top of it=no worries.
    If you camp in an area where bears are man habituated and sleep with food you will very likely have trouble. The solution: Don't camp there.
    .Wind River Range near Shannon Pass

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Brian was referring to "acquity" I think, or maybe equity.

–B.G.–

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Re: "There are places in the Wind River range, like Shannon pass, that contain no trees."

Sleeping with your food does make sense in that case. Bears don't tend to hang out in those areas, but there are areas at lower elevations where bears do hang and people have had issues.

I follow the general rule that if there is a good solid tree to hang, I will hang.
    This is mostly so I won't get disturbed by critters while I sleep. Not just bears.

The high elevation rockies are not so much of an issue, but sometimes there can be an issue at lower elevations and not necessarily from black bears. This is usually an issue when you are camping near areas where car campers hang out.
    You can't avoid those areas sometimes.

I especially make a point of being careful in popular camping areas. Green river lakes area comes to mind, but there are others.

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It's just that it is so hard to understand what you wrote with that spelling.

–B.G.–

Sorry for my atrocious spelling. I should know by now to use Word and copy paste it over by now.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I should know by now to use Word and copy paste it over by now."

Word allows us to make spelling mistakes much faster than we could ever do on our own.

I'm more of a Webster's man.

–B.G.–

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools