Topic

My winter bivy with a porch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My winter bivy with a porch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

This was my first MYOG project completely from scratch. I did my homework in the MYOG forum for a few months and then last december tackled a fully enclosed winter bivy with a storm porch/awning. I plan to use the bivy for two uses, first as my inner tent under a GoLite SL2, second and more exciting I want to use it as a stand alone shelter on fast and light trips where a small weather time table requires speed and therefore a very minimal, light and simple kit. The trip I have in mind as an example is a winter presidential traverse, 17-19 miles depending on route mostly above tree line. The statistical weather in the winter is 2 out of 3 days will have nasty weather… So if you get a good weather window you have to hit it hard quickly.

So here are the materials and dimensions. The bivy is a wedge 1'-8" at the foot 2'-6" at the top by 8'-6" long by 8.75" tall. The bathtub floor is 1.1 silnylon the top is M90. The porch is an additional piece of M90 8" wide x apx. 12" along the head and then 3-4' down one side. The porch has two tie outs (one at the top corner and one at the bottom by the end of the zipper) that attach to my hiking poles driven into the snow. Picture the porch over your front door. A water proof zipper runs 3' from the head down under the "porch". I pitch it as a solo shelter by digging a 9' x 4' (top) x 2' (bottom) x 2' deep hole and bury my hiking poles about half way in snow. The two tie outs have zPack tensioners. The tie outs serve two purposes, it gets the top fabric away from my head, and tensions the porch. I haven't had to yet, but I should be able to cook under the porch regardless of what weather is going on. The bivy is also long enough to fit my winter pack in the inside at my head as a pillow.

Final weight is 10 oz including seam sealing. Packs down to a little larger than a softball.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

are in order.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Im really interested in this, but can't really even tell whats going on in that picture

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

great idea, but we need some action shots.

Dave

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I will get some better shots tonight, no snow though, you have to wait about 5 months for that. I will also make my random babbling from last night make a little more sense. Too much going on this week, I have a big project at work and am about to go on vacation. Stay with me…

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

wide shot
    wide shotfake snow fake snow with a scary winter monster for scaleclose upclose up of the porch area

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

compressed to pack compressed and ready to pack.

I think the only thing I might add, after a few more uses, is another tie out or two that connect to the main two lines to add a little tension to the porch.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools