Topic

Help me decide!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Help me decide!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

So 6 months ago I was planning to be in GNP with my hiking buddy the first week of Sept – but life got in the way and it fell through. So for the past few months I have been planning on hiking through SNP (115 miles or so over 7-8 days), but that also has been shortened by an opportunity to go to Boston with my GF at the end of the week. So now I only have Saturday – Wednesday to be out in the wild. I have been thinking about doing SNP on the AT from 33/Elkton to the north end (70ish miles). This area is close to me, only 90 minutes away, so I could get dropped off at the south end and get picked up closer to home at the north end. However, I am wondering if I want to branch out my ideas and do something different. SNP is great and all, but I have seen a lot of it having grown up here. I have done a few stretches of the AT through here, and I pretty much know what to expect.

So I have been looking at PA hikes, and the Quehanna Trail pops out as a possible idea. Has anyone done this trail? I think the SusqueHannock area is out of the question, just too far. I have done a bunch of 3 day or less trips in WV in the GW forest.

So my criteria are:
    * Within 5 hours from northern virginia. If further then 90 minutes away, needs to be a loop because I will have to drive myself there/back.
    * I have 4-5 days of hiking available, so do your mileage calculations from that. I am comfortable with 15-20 miles a day, so lets just go with 70ish miles at the high end.
    * Need trees to hang at night.
    * The less people the better (another reason I am not sure about SNP labor day weekend/week).
    * Would like some views, vistas, interesting and dynamic trails.

So between SNP, the Quehanna and whatever else is suggested – what should I do?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools