Topic

Tahoe area 1/2 Day Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are going on vacation/living recon trip to Sacramento in a few weeks. We are also going to go up to Tahoe area for a day and a night. I am looking for a reasonable hike that can accomplish as many of these requirements as possible (mostly in this order):

Sample the Sierra's – Neither of us have spent any time in the Sierra's so we would like to get/see a taste of what they are like.

minimal topography – I know that is a tough one but we live at sea level, major topo takes the fun out of a "quick unplanned hike" for my girlfriend

great view – I want it to be a sun rise or sun set hike. Not for the romance of it all, even though that is nice, my mom will be along too so… I just love seeing the sun come up or go down in the mountains.

Location – reasonable around Tahoe I will leave this vague because if everyone says the best area to hike is 30 miles away from Tahoe we will gladly change destinations

I understand that I can't get all of this in one short 4-5 mile hike but a nice sample would be great. I also am aware that it will most likely be on a heavy tourist trail but this isn't the main goal of the trip as a whole, just one part of it so I will have to deal with a high volume of tourists like its time square… after all I will be one too for the week.

Thanks in advance.

T kawa

@kitsune

it's about 6.5 miles 1 way, but you dont have to go the whole way… also, it's beautiful and one of the better non-peak hikes in the area. Great views of the lake.

if you really want a taste of the sierra's a peak hike seems like the way to go!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've got it. The Martis Peak Trail. It is a jeep road and we used to ski up and down it. It starts from Highway 267 just north of the lake, and it goes up to a fire lookout tower in just a few miles. The jeep road is marked on some road maps.

If you go there, make sure that your camera has a wide-angle lens.

–B.G.–

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Jeremy,

Mt. Tallac is pretty spectacular, although it's a flog.

http://www.tahoebackcountry.net/hiking/desolation/tallac.htm

Other flogs avec views are Ralston Peak, Pyramid Peak and Dick's and Jack's peaks.

I'd rather do these at sunrise than sunset because Sierra trails can be treacherous coming downhill in the dark (stretches of loose rock).

Cheers,

Rick

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I think I like the sounds of Martis Peak. I looked it up last night and found a simple map that follows the jeep path, saw some photos of the fire tower shelter. The view looks great. Bob, somehow you managed to meet all the criteria of my list, and we might not see many tourists if we do it midweek, which we are planning.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I just wanted to say thanks Bob for the great hike recommendation. Here are a few photos:
    sierra snow
    Terrible photo but snow in late August was a very exciting new thing for me.
    fire tower panorama
    Fire tower panorama of Lake Tahoe and the Sierras

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Out of Bayview TH by Emerald Bay up to Granite Lake and on to Velmas or Dicks Lake. Although it does not meet your criteria for easy. Sorry. May just want to take a drive on the west side of the lake. Gorgeous, it scacred of heights, don't go on the west side by Emerald Bay. The road is literally on a ridge.

Duane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools