Topic

Powell Lake-Emigrant Wilderness 8/4/11-8/5/11

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Powell Lake-Emigrant Wilderness 8/4/11-8/5/11

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Headed out to Emmigrant Wilderness to shake out some new gear and well, just to get out! I spoke to a ranger the day before heading out and was warned of massive amounts of mosquitos and wet conditions due to the ongoing snowmelt. I was also warned about the rough driving up to Gianelli trailhead. Well I have done many trips out of Crabtree so I thought it would be no big deal. Yep the road up is rough but if you go slow, it really was not that bad. The weather was great and to be honest, the mosquitos were not that bad, the snow was easy to deal with and it was a good trip just to get away. On this trip, I was joined by Justin who is new to hiking on the light side. Justin brought along a custom made Z Pack and a Hexamid tent. Justin was a great hiking partner and I hope to see him at our 4th Annual BPL weekend next year!

Gianelli Cabin Trailhead

Gianelli Cabin Trailhead…this was my first time using this trailhead. I have done many, many trips out of Crabtree and Kennedy Meadows. But this was my first and not my last time starting here. I loved it! 10 years of hiking here and I have never used this trailhead before….that will change

Looking East towards the backcountry

Looking east towards the backcountry

Snow

Snow….snow patches were around but was easily navigated. Just play the game, "if I were a trail, where would I go"

Me

Me atop of Burst Rock looking towards The 3 Chimneys

Sign

Usually a sign like this in the backcountry would be a HUGE bummer. But since I dig history, I thought this was rather cool. The sign explains how emigrants passing through this area had to overcome. Pretty cool.

snow again

Little snow cave on the trail. Should I go under or should I go over…………

mtns

Looking towards the east and the high country

east

Looking towards 3 Chimneys

High country

Sonora

looking towards the high country and where the PCT is

Powell

Powell Lake

My GG SpinnTwinn tarp and Bear Paw Minalmist 1. ULA pack on the ground

My GG SpinnTwinn tarp and Bear Paw Minalmist 1. ULA CDT on the ground. Everthing worked great on this trip!

lake

another shot of Powell Lake from the camp.

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

Nice report and pictures! What elevation is the trailhead you started at?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Chris….the elvation is around 8500-8600. Lots of snow on the north facing slopes

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Ken

Pretty sweet… still sooo much snow!

How gnarly were the mosquitos? Did you feel comfy using the net bivy/inner tent thing under the tarp?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Makes me want to get out even more (like that's possible) and get some miles in this season.
    Crazy snow year. Looks like you were a happy camper!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Mosquitos were not bad at all. I was ready for the worst. As for my trap/bivy combo? It worked out pretty well. Though the weather was mild. Ken, yeah this year has been strange with all the snow. Get out! Hike!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools