Topic

Another MYOG sil pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG sil pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I finished my second official MYOG project a while ago and just needed to fix a few final things before showing it off.

This bag is very similar to the first one I made, but it's quite a bit bigger. I'm estimating this is at least 50L, it seems about the same size as my Jam. I will admit it features Newt's favorite hole-in-the-top technology.

Turned out a little better than the first time around – MYOG is addictive but I've discovered that it still costs money.

Nothing revolutionary here, just wanted to share!

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Thanks for sharing! Pack looks great.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Also….its 300g/10.6 oz

How could I forget?

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Tyler, nice job on the pack! Once your get hooked it's hard to stop making gear! Keep up the good work. What material did you use for the pockets?

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Thanks Guys.

Chris, your packs have been a huge inspiration.

Besides the 1.9oz sil (red) I used standard oxford pack cloth for the back/bottom panel, shoulder straps, hipbelt, water bottle pocket and the bottom 4 inches of everything else.

The the front and side (Contrail-tube) pockets are made of Lycra mesh. Heavy, yes, but I like the stretchyness.

I also opted to not use elastic at the top of the pockets becasue a) I ran out and b) the Lycra's pretty much stretchy enough on its own.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Tyler,

Always be willing to share what you have created. Everyone has ideas of how they would like their pack to be done. If we all share our ideas and creations everyone can benefit by possibly seeing something that they might not have thought of otherwise.

I've seen quite a few packs lately using lycra for the pockets, MYOG and manufactured packs alike. I'm tempted to try some due to the 4 way stretchiness of the fabric and the lack of the need to pleat the pockets at the bottom.

How did you hem the lycra at the top. Did you use a zig zag stitch or did you stretch the material as it went through the machine to allow it to stretch and give?

Is the compression cordage shockcord or non-stretch cordage on the side panels?

Keep up the good work! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Newton-

I made this bag out of what I had leftover from my first bag, so I was limited to my first-try choices. Another bag would see me using some different materials. (xpac!)

To be honest I didn't think too much about the lycra, it was more of an accident because I couldn't figure out how to order less than a yard from Quest. Also, I did pleat mine, which I find a pain in the a' so I might try not pleating next time. I just rolled over the seams once and straight stitched. I think I was putting some tension/stretch on them when I did it.

The cordage is 1/8" shock cord. I found this width too burly, mostly because I couldn't sew over it which meant I couldn't use it in the top of pockets as planned, but also it just seems like overkill. Edit: Expensive spectra or dyneema cord would be better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools