Topic

Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Stupid question…can someone just name a few toothpaste brands and types that have been proven to dry into nice toothpaste dots? My tooth paste (Tom's of Maine) refuses to dry. Before I go out and experiment and end up with a bunch of extra toothpaste, I was hoping someone could give me some leads. I've heard to avoid the gel type, and maybe stick with the pure white stuff, but I don't know. Tom's of maine was white, but it didn't dry out at all. Anyone try sensodyne?
    Thanks

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Crest original works good.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

I never tried toothpaste dots and always just bring a mini-tube of toothpaste with me.

How does one make them, exactly? Do you just let them dry out on their own, or do you put them in the oven or dehydrator or something?

I saw on a video of Mike C. that you chew them like gum to get them re-hydrated, then brush your teeth. Is this process more difficult than using regular toothpaste?

How much weight savings is there? A full mini-tube I have weighs 41g, and one of these usually lasts me about 8-10 days, and of course gets lighter and lighter with each use.

Just wondering.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just squeeze out some on a plate or whatever and let that little log roll dry out. Cut into little pieces when dry. Very light. Dots and a little baggie weigh less than some travel size tubes empty.
    Plus you can take what you need.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I just get the little pill ziplocks from walmart and squeeze a little toothpaste into them. Its a lot lighter than a mini tube and takes no effort .5 oz and after 8-9 days I have leftover

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I think I had good luck with the Crest Original, too.

You can get a few kinds of the travel size tubes and try those. Arm & Hammer didn't dry for me, nor did Crest ProHealth.

The little dots are great once you figure 'em out. I chew on one for a few seconds and as that instinct to swallow comes in, I start brushing, which breaks down the rest of the dot and creates the typical texture of tooth paste.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

This is a more fun item than anything else, and fun count for a lot………especially with kids. With this idea you can forgo the tube toothpaste altogether and simply use the same toothpaste but in a "dot" form. COLGATE white toothpaste works! After three days at 160*F in a food dryer the CREST (two different formulations and color) was still sticky, while the COLGATE toothpaste took 12hrs at 160* to get the result you see in the pic.

dots

After the toothpaste is dry, I used a scissors and cut the "toothpaste rope" into half-inch segment. I sprinkled a tiny bit of baking soda into a baggie and placed the dots in the bags and shook the bag to keep the dots from sticking if any moisture was present. Right before bedtime chew'em like gum before brushing. Easy..yes!

dots

Just came back from a 5 day trip with four of my grandchildren and they ALL thought these "little white things" were cool! As the "old saying goes" KISMIF….Keep It Simple Make It Fun. Great gimmick to get kids to brush more than once per day.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Timely discussion. We just tried this the other night and after a full night in the dehydrator the toothpaste was still very sticky. Looks like the trick is to get a different brand, which I hadn't even considered.

David Ure

@familyguy

Travel style toothpase in tube weighs 1 oz. Apart from having some fun with young children, I see no reason to do this.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>Travel style toothpase in tube weighs 1 oz. Apart from having some fun with young children, I see no reason to do this.

Ah, my friend. UL is a mode of thought, a way of life.

Every gram counts. Grams become ounces and ounces become pounds if you apply the toothpaste dot approach to everything you carry.

The microcosm becomes the macrocosm. ;-)

Stargazer

David Ure

@familyguy

You still have to carry the dots in something so the weight would be the same.

; )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ah, but unlike regular toothpaste, dots have other purposes. I use some of mine as suppositories. Helps me feel fresh on the trail, and the minty ones even quicken my gait…….

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

And half a dot, slightly chewed, in each nostril will mask the stink after a week or so in the same clothes.

Ooooooommmmmm . . . .

Stargazer

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I just squeeze some toothpaste (not dried) off into this thingy and it works fine.

http://www.rei.com/product/605887/polyethylene-container-025-fl-oz

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Mike Clelland in his discussion for TIP 54 concerning the toothpast dots states in the last sentence of the first paragraph …."So this tip is more fun than true weight saver, and fun counts for a lot."

If you have not got your hands on a copy, give it a go……

Cheers

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I also like the idea because you can take just what you need. For a weekend trip you can just take a couple dots instead of a whole tube.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – I have the book. Just commenting.

They could also be used as ear plugs. But the anal freshness is intriguing. Thanks Doug.

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

I praise you sir, I laughed my not-as-fresh-as-it-could-be-if-I-had-dots ass off.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Semi-seriously, a few of these in a snack-sized baggie has got to be lighter than the equivalent amount in a toothpaste tube with that heavy lid.

Besides, the dots are also a cheapskate's wad of gum, and that eliminates the need for carrying the flavorless wad out afterwards.

Leaving no trace,

Stargazer

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Baking soda, pure powder, dentist-recommended, has many other uses, leaves no residue on the ground or foliage when you spit it out, saves all this trouble!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I have been using dehydrated tooth paste dots for the last 2 years nows. I bring a tiny craft zip lock (~1" x ~3") with 6-8 tooth paste dots, a piece of floss for each day and the entire package only registers 0.10 oz on my scale. Not sure the scale can detect much lower weight. This is like 90% lighter than a travel tube and mini spool of floss.

I use one in the morning and one at night with an infant tooth brush. I let it soak in my mouth a sec, maybe take a sip of water then start brushing. Afterwards I do a quick floss. It has worked great.

Only this year have I run out of dots. I just bought some colgate white paste to make new dots.

I learned this from Mike C. moons ago when he did his awesome post on…."dinky stuff".

Dinky Stuff

Jamie

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I have a triple pack of colgate total that I got from a big box store. I hate it. Looks like all three tubes are headed for the dehydrator. I would hate to waste the electricity to dry it on its own, but I don't think it will go over well with other foods….even if it's on its own tray.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

I currently carry a small baggie of baking soda, which I use for everything — including teeth brushing. However, as my dentist pointed out, BS is highly abrasive. Occasional use is fine, but you'll be brushing away the hard calcium coating of your teeth if you use it for long periods of time.

BTW, a pinch BS really freshens up the groinal area of your underwear if you're having that less-fresh-than-it could be experience. ;-D

Groinally yours,

Stargazer

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

but it tastes bad.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

tooth paste has abrasive in it as well.

A small 1.5 x 2 ziplock with a little baking soda weighs ~0.3 oz or less, and is plenty for a week. Baking soda is not really a smellable either, wouldnt hurt to bear bag it though. Not scented like peppermint, etc and more environmentally friendly.

Multi use as well, can apply a paste of baking soda/water to bee stings, cuts, etc. Works to remove odors from hands, clean hair, soak feet, sponge bathe, etc. Also apply to sunburn and can use powdered as deodorant. Good for indigestion/heartburn , mouthwash, poison ivy, proven to improve speed and endurance, fights kidney disease, prevents some types of kidney stones, helps when scrubbing pots, can be used to wash clothing/gear and remove odors, and……is claimed to fight cancer.

how many more reasons do you need?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools