Topic

Titanium Hook Tent Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium Hook Tent Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

ELI is sometimes used for tig rod since it does a better job of controlling the amount of gases trapped within the structure of the Titanium and is less sensitive to embrittlement. With that said, its primary purpose is Bio-Medical applications.

In regards to bending sheet and rod, most people that have problems don't have the right equipment for the job.. My bender was designed and built to bend rod. It can bend titanium and aluminum rod all the way down to a .125" radius, but it doesn't stand a chance bending thin wall high tensile tubing. However there is a company I know of with a 750K bender that can shape 7075 T-6 Aluminum thin wall tubing like butter. Its about the right tools for the job.. Its the reason carpenters use hammers and not pipe wrenches…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Lawson

> down to a .125" radius
    That's tighter than my gear can do for cold working. I can bend 1/4" SS tubing down to about 8 mm radius, 3 mm Ti wire to about 4 mm radius, and 7075 T9 (Easton) poles down to about 120 mm radius, to controlled angles. The bender for the Easton poles was made up in my workshop, using a couple of small ball races, some plastic, some bolts and a bit of steel plate. $750k seems rather a lot in comparison!

Nice looking stakes.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools