Topic

JMT Resupply Strategy- MTR to Whitney Portal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition JMT Resupply Strategy- MTR to Whitney Portal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Rod

@bespokegear

Locale: Front Range

Hi All,
    My girlfriend and I are heading out to the JMT in September, hiking north to South. We have purchased our food, and made a rough daily itinerary as to where we think we will be hiking.

We are planning to take 6 to 6.5 days (~17 miles) to go from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal. We have repackaged all of the food the best we can. I just cant quite seem to squish 5.5 days of food for 2 people into the canister (900 cu in Bearikade Expedition).

Here is my question, is it legal to camp and hang a bear bag near Evolution Creek (or any where plus or minus 5 miles)? I don't believe this is in the required canister area, but then again, I am not intimately familiar with the area like some of you. At what point after Muir Trail Ranch, is a no longer legal to hang a bear bag?

If I could hang 1 days worth of food, that first night out, it would mean that we could get by on the entire trip with just one canister. Which would be awesome.

Thanks for you help guys and gals!

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Just coming from the trail…

Well, you will cross the border of Kings Canyon Natl Park at Paiute Creek, which is about 5mi after the MTR.
    So you are officially not allowed to hang at Evolution Valley but well…. just don't get caught. You wouldn't be the fist one to hang stuff there. I met lots of people who had food outside their cans.

And talking about Evolution:
    look for a lightning sheltered campsite!! That place seems to attract storms. I also got into one there and it was NO fun.

Happy Trails!
    Sabine

Robert Atwood
    Spectator

@courtright

Locale: Sierras

The only portion of the JMT that passes though SEKI's three bear canister areas (Dusy/Palisade, Rae Lakes and Rock Creek)is the Rae Lakes area between Pinchot Pass and Forester Pass, so you should be just fine hanging food in Evolution Valley. The link below has maps and descriptions of the areas that require a canister.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/canister-areas.htm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools