Topic

need ideas to MYOG for Swimming Pool Noodles from walmart

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear need ideas to MYOG for Swimming Pool Noodles from walmart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

something about those swimming pool floating foam noodles is screaming potential MYOG.

cut/slice off a 12 inch strip of the 6 ft long noodle.
    then slice it length wise, to make two half circles.
    can use it as:
    1) a neck pillow, it's lightweight
    2) a splint for a broken limb
    3) connect 2 halves sideways with duct tape (like a book binding) to make a sitting pad.
    4) a lousy flotation device
    5) add it to retrofit a backpack bag that lacks lumbar support padding
    6) sheds water quickly, foam plastic can burn slowly, black smoke will kill you though.
    7) store the pointy tent stakes, protect your backpack from tear
    8) slice off 1 sq in for fishing float

my ideas are weak – do you have any better ideas?

swimming pool noodle walmart cheap

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Well… I sat here and thought about it… then I figured if I went to the shed and smoked something… I could come up with at least three things. So here they are.

A three foot piece of this should be able to do the following.

1. A lightweight fishing pole protector. Fishing pole needs to be two sections.

2 Repair a broken tent pole. Would have to tape the pole together inside to keep it
    from slipping in the noodle. I would have drawn a diagram but see above.

3. A swimming noodle so you don't drown when you go for a dip in the river.

4. Good whacking stick for putting out a fire on your buddies back. Throw a stick in
    and he will never know.

5. A hot dog keeper warmer

6. A way to sword fight with a camping buddy if such a duel need to take place on the
    trail.

This last one is just a thought, but if you strapped could rig your headlamp to shine through it… I think it would make a decent lantern. I do this with gallon jugs of water but I've also seen glow sticks that are covered in this stuff.

Well, that's all 3. Hope you enjoy.

Cheers,
    Miller

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have seen half round piece of foam used on vintage rucksacks and vintage european military rucks. Used as foam ribs between your back and the pack to protect your back from hard items in the pack and ventilation. So if you could find small 2 inches or less diameter noodles you could slice it in half and use it as for ventilation tube sewn in to the pack back.
    Terry

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

i used smaller versions of this, cut in half, to add padding to shoulder straps on my jam 2.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools