Topic

MYOG: Treking Poles??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG: Treking Poles??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I was thinking about taking some golf club shafts and making my own treking poles. Any idea were to get grips and treking pole tips?

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

Tips you can find yours local hiking store, Leki and Komperdell or some other.
    Grips, fishing rod grip could be good and light.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Tips are pretty easy to find; REI carries them. I recommend getting grips from Gossamer Gear. I made some poles and used fishing pole grips first and ended up getting the GG grips and they're much more comfortable. The poles I made weigh 2.9 oz each.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

If you do try to get GG grips, just be warned, you need to call. I tried emailing them a number of times without answer.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I made a decent pair of trekking poles out of old blue fiberglass xc skiing poles. I cut off the old tip and old grip, then measured and cut to the right length.

I used some bar tape, for a road bike, that I had lying around. Bar tape is pretty cheap and easy to find in town.

Pair came out to 11 oz. Not bad, for free.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

A tip about using golfclub shafts: get some cork or light wood and glue a plug in the handle end flush before putting the grips on. Otherwise the sharp carbon fiber tube end will cut through the top of the grip.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I just found a lightweight graphite driver from Goodwill for a $1.00 and it's about the perfect length for me with the end cut off. As suggested, REI and similar places carry tips, in pairs, from what I've noticed. I got lucky this weekend and actually found an old, but usable tip before spending the money on them. Its inner diameter is slightly bigger than the club's outer diameter, but I've [just] filled it with JB weld and pressed in the club. I'm hoping it will solidify nicely and hold firm after it cures.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Gorilla glue expands and is another (potentially lighter) option instead of JB weld for taking up space between grips –edit: or tips and pole.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools