Topic

Do you use a liner with trail running shoes? And what about sock thickness?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you use a liner with trail running shoes? And what about sock thickness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I was curious about whether people use two pairs of socks with trail runners. I'm coming from a more traditional boot where two pairs are useful for moisture management and (most importantly) to reduce the likelihood of blisters.

I think that moisture management thing would be solved automatically by the breathability of trail runners. That leaves the question of blisters.

What do you folks do? Also, generally how thick a pair of socks do you use with trail runners?

Thanks.

rhz

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I wear 1 pair of thin Coolmax Injinji Toe socks.
    I never get blisters … but my feet are pretty well conditioned.

p.s.
    blisters can be caused by a shoe that is too snug (2 pair of socks when you shouldn't).

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

A pair of thin, low cut synthetic socks with a mesh-type top works very well for me. I've not found any benefit using thicker socks with trail runners. Great combo, I can even feel the wind on my toes!

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I wear some real thin Bridgdale socks. I think they're made for cycling. Its what I prefer after trying and not liking different thicknesses of SmartWool and DarnToughs. I rock some Smart Wools in the cold though.

If its 5 miles or less I go sockless, but find I get blisters from the stock insoles if I hike any more than that without socks.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I can't speak for anybody else, but I just wear one pair of synthetic socks with my trail runners. Typically, I use a pair of low cut, New Balance Coolmax socks. I find SmartWool socks to be a little too warm for my liking (until late Fall), but that's just my preference. So, generally, I prefer a thinner sock that breaths and drys quickly.

In warm weather, after a stream crossing, I simply let the body heat from my feet dry my socks. In cooler weather, I quickly (a) wring my socks out and (b) squeeze the water from my trail runners after a crossing and then put them right back on my feet. That's pretty much the extent of my moisture management.

If you're a runner, most likely you already have a pair of socks you can use.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

Hot feet make me very uncomfortable so I wear the thinnest socks I can buy. The only reason to go any thicker for me is if it's cold, but even then I find that my feet only get cold when I stop.

As for blisters, I've never really gotten blisters but I also have maybe one or two hiking experiences with non trail running shoes since it was one of the first things I switched. Take from that what you will.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thin liner is all you need.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I've fallen in love with Icebreaker's line of thin running socks (their hiking socks are a bit thicker). Expensive and somewhat fragile – but they feel greet and keep my feet happy.

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/weight.html?gender=Man&range=Socks&weight=Run

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I wear merino wool liners or thin wool cycling socks. Smart wool, darn tough, defeet, fox river, etc.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Another thin synthetic sock user here. I like the thin sports-style ankle sock (read cheap but effective "Starter" brand from Targer/Walmart) while I'm in my Trail Gloves, wet or dry (if it's cold, light merino is good). They are comfy and dry quickly.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

But I don't wear liners with any footwear including mountaineering boots and ski boots.

I like the Smartwool PhD light and ultralight running socks for trail runners — the ones that just cover the ankle usually. I need to decide on exact sock thickness when I decide on the shoe though. I am still sussing out "waterproof" socks and will probably use a "liner" in them. (I have not had much luck with GTX trail runners!) Of course, that arrangement will need dedicated bigger shoes! Depending on the shoe and the fit, a liner weight sock may be all you want to wear.

Just use a little bit of salve or body glide (there's a "dry" version of this that comes in "single use" packs that is enough for a week — packs aren't resealable and the stuff is a bit of a mess — otherwise it's a great product) in places prone to "blister" — before you get in trouble. But don't muck up open sores with the stuff. Once you use this stuff, you'll have to wash the feet with soap before you'll get any sort of dressing to stick.

When you are shower clean, you can use something like Eucerin ointment covered in a sock at night every so often to keep the skin from drying out and cracking. Again, don't muck up dirty lesions with grease! BTW, Eucerin ointment is awesome stuff! And it comes in 2 packs of little tubes (1/2 oz tubes, I think) in addition to larger tubes.

I always have a few alcohol swabs and lancets (in the diabetes supply section of your local drugstore). Say 20 gauge hollow needles would be better — there is something about seeing the blister juice ooze out the top!– but are harder to come by. Clean and lance before the skin tears. Then cover with a nonstick dressing. Don't put duck tape, leukotape, rock tape (so cool!), kinesio tape or whatever BPL's tape of the moment is directly against blisters — you'll rip the skin on removal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools