Topic

Emmigrant Overnight on Thursday

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Emmigrant Overnight on Thursday

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I know this is last minute here, but I am heading out with another hiker this Thursday. Starting at Crabtree to Gem Lake cross country to Buck Meadows, through Pine Valley and back to the trailhead. This is a gear shakeout and if anyone like to attend let me know. I think we will be hitting the trail about noon

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Another poster put up a trip report on this trail about a week or so ago. He stopped at the Cherry Creek crossing saying the water was too high to safely cross. Just something to think about.

I went out of Gianelli this last weekend, and there is LOTS of water and snow on that trail.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Richard, I saw the report too. If Cherry Creek is bad, then I was thinking about backtracking to Bear Lake and deal with it. Amazing that there is still so much snow and water and here we are in Aug. Such a mild summer we are having.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Or possibly heading out from Gianelli to Y Meadows Dam???

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Whitesides Meadow August 1, 2011

whitesides mdw

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Richard. I have a trip reoprt coming….First time out of Gianelli. Most of my hikes have been out of Crabtree and Kennedy…..I am a HUGE fan of Gianelli!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Burst Rock make you burst, but it's over pretty quickly.

Maybe less "stocky" than Crabtree?

Continuing perhaps the oddest Sierra summer evah. An amazing amount of snow remains in the northern range.

Cheers,

Rick

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Just got back from Emmigrant. We headed out from Gianelli,which was my first time and not the last heading out on that trailhead. Two things to point out…firstly, the mosquitos were not bad at all, and man, there still is a lot of snow above 8000 feet. Though most of it was on north facing slopes. Pictures and trip report coming

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools