Topic

Advice for a novice in snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Advice for a novice in snow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I am a novice at snow trekking, tents, sleeping in it, etc.?

I have a lot of questions and would like advice on how best to approach it.

First step for myself and my partner is sleeping in a tent, tarp, or shelter comfortably in 0 F to 32 F nights.

Second is taking the tent, tarp or whatever works on a short Xcountry ski, mukluk, or snow shoe trek and then succesfully setting up a camp, cooking, staying dry and warm, and returning. We live in an environment where we can leave our house and camp within a 1/2 mile or so in Forest Service lands on Hat Creek in N. California.

Next step is going on the National Forest lands at Lassen on fairly establish snow shoe trails … I want to do it in mukluks because I am new to them and they are wonderful, warm. Just great things to use.

So if anyone wants to take a novice under their wing I am ready to listen and do.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

It looks like you've got the process nailed–step by step. I tested various configurations of lightweight clothing and sleeping gear in the back yard in various conditions to well below 0F before I would trust switching from heavy to light in the backcountry. (Good thing I did because I ran into a blizzard. Comfortably :) I now prefer a hammock in winter because it makes setting up camp quick and easy, but then I usually go solo. YMMV.

I'm sure you'll get some good advice from experts here on BPL. If you're into reading books, I have two recommendations: Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book: Traveling & Camping Skills for a Winter Environment (O'Bannon, Allen and Mike Clelland!; Chockstone; 1996) and Backpacker Magazine's Winter Hiking & Camping: Managing Cold for Comfort & Safety (Lanza, Michael; The Mountaineers; 2003). Although Allen & Mike's book has "backcountry ski" in the title it also covers everything else, in a highly entertaining fashion. Backpacker's book isn't necessarily lightweight but there is a lot of good info in depth. I re-read these each year.

The mukluks sound great (I saw your other thread on this subject) as long as you don't end up postholing. I misjudged the snow depth on a one-way day hike on New Year's Eve a few years ago and we ended up moving only 1/3 of a mile per hour, and were almost benighted. But if you're going in, then you should be able to get back out. You might find snowshoes worth carrying in case the snow is softer than you expect once you get off the trail, and they can make stomping down a camping area much quicker.

Some good articles here (under Gear Lists, and Techniques).

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ss/Snow%20and%20Winter%20Hiking/index.html

Be sure to read Roger Caffin's articles on stoves.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/selecting_stoves_for_cold_weather_part_1.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/selecting_stoves_for_cold_weather_part_2.html

Have fun!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

One of the better things I've done is to build an igloo a fair trips ditance in from the trailhead then ski there and use it as a base for longer trips.
    If you are in an area that has snowmobiles build a little bit off the baeten track so they aren't tempted to "investigate".
    If you are setting up a tent a simple snow wall can help with wind and drifting snow. Also pack down your site by tramping around in your skiis or snowshoes. More calories, more insulation, extra batteries.
    One of the really neat things about winter is you don't have to travel very far to have a great experience.

Stevan Beer

@papabeer

Locale: Gunnison Valley

I am not sure if you are going to be on or around avalanche terrain for your winter travels, or if you are a skier, but taking a Level 1 avalanche course might be a good idea. I am a self professed "Snow Dork" and I find the stuff extremely interesting. It really enriches my winter backcountry experience and increases my respect for the power of snow. Level 1 courses are usually 3 days long, cost 200-300 dollars, and are taught by your local mountain guides or avalanche centers.
    Also, if you are a skier, backcountry skis are a lot more efficient (AND MORE FUN!!!) than slow shoes – sorry – snow shoes. Whether you "lock the heel – ski for real" or "free the heel – free your mind", BC skis can be nice and light. Food for thought.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Do your research about avalanches if you'll be playing in that terrain as the previous poster mentions. I wanted to make a note that some places offer Level I Avalanche courses free. I lived in the Flathead Valley of Montana and the Glacier Country Avalanche Center offered the Level I course free (a series of evening class sessions and two field days).

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I don't worry about avalanches, I just send the little wifey and our ankle biters out in front and have them jump up and down on any suspicious slopes.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Kathleen, please don't pick on me, I have my own problems. For example, my first wife, who shall remain nameless, recently died. And she will remain nameless forever if I can find some way to drag a sandblaster into the cemetery and all the way to her gravestone.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Kathleen, don’t hate me, pity me. I am the way I am because I grew up in tough circumstances and became hard and calloused. My neighborhood was so tough, the name of the local Ice Creamery was “Lick This!”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools