Topic

Favorite Season To Hit The Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Favorite Season To Hit The Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Was just thinking about backpacking in October and how much I enjoy being in the Sierras during this month. The change of color in the trees, the cool crisp weather, and the feel that the seasons are a changin'…love hiking in Oct.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am going to be in colorado in the middle of October for a wedding. I am going to go some hiking around the area. I don't know what to expect that time of year. It could be wet and snowy or nice and sunny. Either way, I am looking forward to it!!!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I would agree with that. Last year I spent a week in Emigrant wilderness in early october and it was perfect. No bugs, comfortable temperatures and very few other people on the trail. I like September as well, but unfortunately that's when I am busiest at work and can't take any time off. Backpacking in the northeast is pretty nice that time of year as well. I'm hoping to get in a trip in Vermont next fall.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Every day I wake up above ground.

I am fortunate (actually planned) to live in an area that affords year round hiking within a close radius to home.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

I am fortunate (actually planned) to live in an area that affords year round hiking within a close radius to home.

me too, Nick. an hour in any direction.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I like fall too. I also find I like winter, anytime it's cold but there's no or little snow (happens in the mid-Atlantic, for all you snowy mountain people).

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Late spring for visiting Yosemite and Kings Canyon for the crazy water levels, early/late fall for backpacking in the Sierras for nicer weather and less bugs, winter for Death Valley for cool temps.

Bryan Crook

@bcrook007

Locale: Nebraska

For the Rocky Mountains (RMNP and surrounding area) I'm a big fan of hiking in the Fall, especially after Labor Day. Just have to be ready for any kind of weather.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Like Nick, I chose where to live and I too have many places to backpack. Big Basin, and Castle Rock are within a half hour drive. Ventana is an hours drive….

Something about hiking in the fall….it's unbeatable. Just love the feeling that something is changing and you can actually FEEL it…………..

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I'll vote for the stretch beginning one hour after the last mosquito dies to the first snowfall that won't melt until next year.

Yup, fall is great. I don't especially like the short hiking days or people shootin' up the joint, but there's something special about being in the mountains as things transition towards winter.

Cheers,

Rick

tommy d

@vinovampire

Although October is my favorite month here in northern New England, I don't really care much for backpacking in the Fall. It may be that I've hiked so much in the spring and summer that I'm burnt out by Fall. Or maybe I'd just rather be apple picking, taking road trips, or just sitting around at home with friends. I never seem to hike much in late-Sept and October.

Without a doubt, I love winter hiking the best. Which is a good thing, since we usually have 6-months of snow. This past winter was especially fun! I guess one benefit of hiking on snow covered mountains is that you can sled down.

Photobucket

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I do hike all year round. But gosh darn, summer heat in the 90s with humidity to match really makes me reconsider why I decide to go on a few trips. Fall and spring are great. Winter is almost perfect here in the mid-Atlantic but we could use more snow.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Like a couple of the others, I'm able to comfortably hike year-round where I live. Our changes in seasons are pretty subtle around here: summer is reliably warm and sunny while winter is mostly warm and sunny! Nonetheless, I think late fall into early winter (Nov-Jan) is probably my favorite time of year to hike in my local backcountry.

By then, temps are a little cooler, most of the nuisance critters are hiding for the winter, water starts to become more reliable and what small changes we have in the leaves are underway.

Aside from the infrequent and mostly short-lived rain or snow, our late fall and early winters are blessed with cool clear days and frosty, but clear nights. I especially love the crisp bite to the air on a clear fall morning. I look forward to waking up to the first day of that weather each year.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Nicholas, you So Cal folks have it made!!!!!!!!!

Josh Platt
    BPL Member

@easternbox

Locale: Southeast

I absolutely hate the summer. Being light skinned, I turn to an instant crisp when I am in the sun. I love the transitions into certain seasons. Love winter into spring and fall into winter. Couldn't ask for better.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Spring means the early season wildflowers are starting to come out in the foothills and the world is coming alive again…

Summer means the wildflowers are in full bloom in the high country and there are patches of snow dotting the mountains still…

Fall means the aspens are yellow, the ground cover turns a russet color and the air is crisp, cool and inviting…

And winter? The powder is fresh, I glide along in my skis and feel the same joy I felt as a 6 year old on my Flexible Flyer back in the New England winters when sledding..

How can I choose????

:)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Where I (and Nicolas) live, spring flowers begin in January and are full-force in March and April.

Summer begins in May with flies and brown grass.

A dormant hot season begins end of June. I switch to hiking in the frontcountry where the ocean air cools things a bit. Any backpacking I do in Summer is elsewhere.

Fall hiking begins in October or so, but some years there isn't enough water available to do any long backpacks until the first rains.

November hiking is the best, with warm days, cool nights and a little bit of color change with the sycamores and alder trees. It's usually rained at least once by Thanksgiving weekend, thus my backpacking season begins then.

The cold nights December-February and the rainy season usually keep me home dayhiking until the flowers are in full bloom again.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Early spring backpacking, keeps me on my toes- postholing, no crowds, breaking trail, felled tree hopping, brisk evenings and cool days, all those great things I associate with hiking in the mountains in March and April.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Missed this discussion: I prefer May – June (late spring/early summer) as it starts warming up but before summer thunderstorms come through (almost hit by lightning once, so I avoid stormy conditions).

Anytime off can be good with the right gear, clothing, and access.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I too love fall backpacking. Here in the south late sept to early nov is the best hiking weather. Warm during the day cool at night. It's rarely cold that time of year. And tge weather is the most predictable.

Winter is good too. I usually go to VA thanksgiving week and trudge through wet snow. December-February is nice if it's too cold in north GA I head down to the pinhoti in Alabama.

Spring is the time to go to western NC/east TN for wildflowers.

Summer here is downright oppressive and runs from may to September.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools