Topic

Repackaging Soap, Sunscreen, Aqua Mira, etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Repackaging Soap, Sunscreen, Aqua Mira, etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Wondering how much of each of the following items you take for an 8 day trip and what size bottles/containers you all use to repackage them in. I'm asking specifically regarding the longest stretch of the JMT without resupply, which for me will be 8 days after MTR. Just trying to make sure I'm not taking way too much or too little.

Dr. Bronners Soap
    Sunscreen (I will have Long Sleeve Shirt, Pants and Full Brim Hat)
    Aqua Mira
    Toothpaste
    Insect Repellent

Anything else I'm missing?

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I use a the small 6cc dropper bottle for Deet and Bronners (from US Plastics; Lawson is selling them, too, I believe) – clear for the soap and a white one for the Deet. Both bottles would last quite a while.

I dehydrate t'paste and make dots and keep those in a tiny [craft-size] ziploc baggie, along with a pinch of baking soda to keep them from sticking to each other.

I usually wear long sleeves and a full-brimmed hat, along with shorts; I don't need too much. I currently keep my sunscreen in a 1oz bottle (also from US Plastics – with the dropper-insert hole drilled out a little). For long stretches above tree line, I'd take a few ounces (skin cancer runs in my family).

As far as AM – I carry tablets. ;) If you've MC's Backpacking Tips book, check out Tip #106 (how he uses AquaMira). It appears he repackages the two parts in 1oz(?) bottles and uses a 6cc or 10cc dropper bottle for the Mix.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Thanks, Aaron. I remember reading about the toothpaste trick a while ago and have been meaning to try it out. And I do have Mike C's book, so I'll review that tip.

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

In terms of Aqua Mira quantities, it takes about 1 ml/cc of each part to treat one gallon of water. So, repackaged to the the 15cc dropper size would give you enough for almost 2 gallons per day over 8 days.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

One thing I was missing on the list was Hydropel. Anyone have suggestions on how much of that to take for 8 days?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools