Topic

Q: Tarp length and weather protection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Q: Tarp length and weather protection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

With doors on the ends of a hammock tarp, why would any doored tarp need to be as long as a doorless hex tarp?

I'm shopping for a cuben tarp and an 8'x10' rectangle seems to be enough, but is shorter than most of what is being marketed. What am I missing when I have no interest in hanging under long tarps? Yes, the rain could run down the suspension, but gravity and a noose with a hanging tail may take care of that.

At 5'8", I'm not using ten foot hammocks, and even those are rigged at under 8.5 feet (83% of the length).

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

The tarp only needs to be slightly longer than the span of your hammock. You are correct in looking at the hammocks length when suspended to determine the size tarp you need. Keep in mind that you want the drip tail (however you create them) to be covered under the ends of the tarp as well.

Out of curiosity how long is the hammock your using? At an inch under your height I like a 12'(pre-hemming) hammock if I am going with a strait gathered end. Supper flat lay and very comfortable.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Paul,
    A completely flat lay is not my preference, I sleep on two pillows in a bed, so some head elevation is good. Am I correct in thinking that a short hammock is right for me?

The Nano 7 and GT UL were just a little too narrow, and my current one is a MYOG wide one made by G.L.P. who posts at HF. The hammock's center is 5 feet wide after the sewn edges. The ridgeline is about 98-100 inches, 8 and a quarter feet. Has a very comfortable hang, but the fabric is a little too heavy so I'm still looking for perfection.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

At 100 inches the ridge line is about the same as the WBBB, but it has an overall bed length of about 9 feet…..so your close to what most folks feel is one of the most comfortable hammocks out there. I am a big fan of the BB but I cut my DIY's much longer and find them more comfortable than a shorter bed gathered end. GLP knows his stuff so I am sure that he set up up with a good hammock. I can get comfortable in a GT Ultralight and Single, I just prefer a bigger hammock myself.

Just remember that as with all things "comfort" is subjective to the user and not anyone else. Sounds like you are on the right path in trying different ones to see what you like. Keep on that path and you may find your ultimate hammock.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools