Topic

Hiking Pants: What do you Wear and why?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking Pants: What do you Wear and why?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

3 season – RailRiders EcoMesh, but I'm going to get a pair of those Bone Flats and try them out. I like the ventilated panels, and I like the Bone Flats ventilation on both sides.

Cool/cold wet weather – Depending on how cold, either GoLite Reeds or RAB Bergens. GoLites are, well, light, and not too hot for cool/cold weather hiking. The Bergens are a bit heavy, but a very nice eVent rain pant. Only skivvies underneath either.

Cold (winter) weather – RAB vapor-rise. Breathe exceedingly well while keeping me warm enough on the move, and dry pretty quickly. Nice to sleep in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What are your favorites?"

Warm weather through cool weather: Montane Terras. 10.5 oz, very breathable with zippered mesh vents on the thighs, very durable with lightweight cordura panels on the seat and inner ankles(crampon protection), loose fitting with articulated knees.

Cold weather: Mountain Hardwear Transition Featherweight Tights. Lightweight at ~6.5 oz in a size small, windproof with Gore Windstopper, fairly breathable, water resistant, form fitting but very easy to move in, room for a base layer next to skin. I use them for any winter activity, especially snowshoeing, and just love them. Only minor complaint is they have no pockets or slot in the front for peeing. Also, I'm not sure they're made anymore, like so many good products.

Christopher Holly

@climber72

Locale: At my desk

A fly on that wall?

Aye – but me woolies are sprayed with permethrin!

I guess for me, the thermal concerns of an enclosed crotch far outweigh the specter of mossies. Now don't get me wrong, should the sky be moving ahead of me, I will don the softshells which are also treated, but in hot, summer conditions the Kilt wins out.

I have tried the Columbia shorts, pants, and convertibles – found them to be the best in all honesty. The REI Shara convertibles? For me they are like being wrapped up in saran wrap – no breathability, little in the way of a comfortable cut and really not that durable. The Ex-Officio Amphis are really nice too – maybe even better than the Columbia's, but the cut was all wrong for me. The belt was uncomfortable under a pack.

As for running shorts, they work in cooler conditions admirably, but lack the pockets sought by the OP. As do the running pants, as the OP pointed out.

But yes, I can see why one might balk at the idea of hiking through mossie infested lands with a kilt on.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

REI Sahara convertible pants.

I usually wear as shorts during hiking. At night when the skeeters come for me I zip on the legs – no bug problems. With just the legs and no long johns, they are surprisingly warm late into the evening.

If I run out of sunscreen, the legs protect and are not too hot. A couple years ago I walked half the day in rain and snow. The pants were perfectly warm and absorbed practically no water.

I like the versatility.

One down-side is the cargo pocket is a little too small to hold a Tom Harrison map – the pocket flap can't cover the velcro tab and the front one catches on the mesh of the sleeve of my RailRiders shirt. I finally remembered to cut off that tab after this last trip. Now they're perfect.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"But yes, I can see why one might balk at the idea of hiking through mossie infested lands with a kilt on."

Twas an unusually damp and dusky day
    but I wore me ole kilt anyway
    the breeze between my cheeks was grand
    as I sauntered through the mossy land

then suddenly without a bit o' warning
    the mossies and midges were really swarming
    they swirled up past my knocking knees
    and with me did just as they pleased

they bit and badgered and had me for lunch
    and before I could cover they came back for brunch
    I was swollen and red and itching like mad
    sitting in poison ivy wouldn't have been this bad!

so now on damp and dusky days
    I wear my pants to keep the bugs at bay
    no more swinging in the breeze
    the bugs aren't happy, but i'm quite pleased……

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Now that was hilarious!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

no pants………………. for three season wear

I wear shorts (Mountain Hardwear Canmore)- lightweight, quick drying, plenty of pockets including two mid size cargo pockets

I carry Patagonia Cap 4 tights for needed warmth at camp or sleeping

my legs don't get cold on the move and I've never found rain pants to be that effective

for fall/winter I use a pair of Patagonia Rock Guides that are very nice- pretty light, but seem to be very abrasive resistant- they also have a very good DWR on them

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Twas an unusually damp and dusky day
    as I sauntered through the mossy land……"

Ah Douglas, me lad, you're like a fine single malt. You get better and better as you age. Good thing I wasn't sitting here with my usual cup of tea in hand. ;)

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

If we're talking warm weather, I say just bring the most comfortable running shorts you can find. They're always light, and you can barely tell you're wearing them; which means they're probably also comfortable enough to sleep in in, which I do.

Brand doesn't matter, just go to your closest sporting goods store and find what's comfortable and non-cotton that doesn't show your "stuff" when sitting down and you're good to go. Sometimes worry about the "best" is silly.

Christopher Heine

@heine19

Locale: Colorado

Seems like every mfg only makes 32" inseam pants. What are you taller guys wearing?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"If we're talking warm weather, I say just bring the most comfortable running shorts you can find."

What about bugs? Where I live the first half of the summer is a no-go for shorts because of the bugs. You could just slather your legs in Deet, but nice light pants don't seem significantly hotter than shorts anyways.

Ginger Allman

@gindavall

Locale: Ozarks

I've seen no mention of Bass Pro's brands of fishing clothing. XPS and Worldwide Sportsman. You don't need to fish to wear them! My husband wears the shorts for hiking and everyday in summer(they're old man short shorts). They've got good deep pockets and they're quick drying nylon. He also wears their brand of zip off pants (again nylon). For winter he just adds a base layer underneath. Cheap and durable. Lightweight, too. http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Hybrid-Angler-Pants-for-Men/product/10210017/-1756845

Personally, I wear Columbia cargo shorts in spring, summer, and fall. Gotta have pockets. In weather that's changing often I wear Columbia zip off pants, nylon supplex. In winter I wear powerstretch leggings. Just bought some softshell pants…I look forward to trying them when it gets really cold and with blowing snow.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Doug's poem, V2

OR

Down With Pants, Up With Kilts!

Twas an unusually damp and dusky day
    as I sauntered through the mossy land

then suddenly without a bit o' warning
    the mossies and midges were really swarming
    they swirled up past my knocking knees
    and with me did just as they pleased

they bit and badgered and had me for lunch
    and before I could cover they came back for brunch
    I was swollen and red and itching like mad
    sitting in poison ivy wouldn't have been this bad!

just when all hope was lost
    and i was thinkin' my favorite kilt would get tossed
    a group of ten lady hikers did appear
    and proceeded to take pity on my poor rear
    they applied Calamine lotion
    in a most "friendly" motion

the lasses wore pants…all ten
    they said "pants are for ladies…kilts for men"
    a consensus they did state
    that men in pants they did hate!

a sweet young thing did whisper in my ear
    "men need room for all their bits-n-pieces and ladies pants have too many creases"
    when i put her phone number in my sporran
    i never felt more like a MAN

as i shouldered my pack to leave
    i was grateful for this brief reprieve
    from the nasty mosquito's bite
    i somehow knew wearing my kilt just felt right

kilt

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Bone flats or Adventure from Rail Rider. I prefer the front pockets, fit weight and price. I have tried several different pants and these are it.

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

"What about bugs? Where I live the first half of the summer is a no-go for shorts because of the bugs. You could just slather your legs in Deet, but nice light pants don't seem significantly hotter than shorts anyways."

I've never had that big of a bug issue, but what you wear certainly depends on your location/environment/season. I was just stating what works for me. I suppose if I was expecting a lot of mosquitos or something I would revert back to my first suggestion, Outdoor Research Equinox pants. Really light, not too hot, and there's this elastic draw cord around the ankles that can be tightened when you want to wear them as shorts or capris without ever having them slip down.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Funny!

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

That was for you, Doug :)

M

Eli .

@feileung

Thanks for all the replies, info and poetry. I'll be shopping tonight after work.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Because they are around 10 oz, fold up to the size of a fatter pepsi can, have pockets in all the right places, and are super durable.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I wear hiking style pants daily,when I am not wearing Carharrts. I have several Patagonia with zip offs, some OR, a pair of Adidas for winter, a couple Arcteryx and some others I can't recall right now. My newest pair are OR and I love how they shed water and on my last trip, after some creek crossings the dried oh-so-fast. If only they were not black.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have a couple pair of BPL's Thorofare pants. They are the best hiking pant ever! Not only do they weigh next to nothing (4.1 oz men's large) but you can walk through a stream, knee deep, and come out dry. This sounds like a description of fragile pants, but they are tough! They must be made of miracle fabric.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The .511 pants for protection sharp desert plants and on cold days,
    the Sahara pants for tropics and other hikes not in the desert.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

+1 on the too short (32 inch) inseam! I love my husbands OR Equinox pants and have tried them on for myself, but the 32 inch inseam is just too short. Very frustrating. If you are a woman looking for a longer inseam there are VERY few options, and the few I have found are low cut enough to barely cover my butt. I'm actually finding a better fit in some of the men's models.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"I have a couple pair of BPL's Thorofare pants. They are the best hiking pant ever…they are tough! They must be made of miracle fabric."

I had a pair of Thorofare pants but I didn't feel they were durable enough to last as long as I wanted. The crotch seam came out and needed to be re-sewed and just thinking about having a fire put a few burn holes in them. Sparks from a fire don't even notice these pants when they land on your legs. Fires aside, I will admit the durability is better than I originally estimated. If you want to go as light as possible, or you don't mind them not lasting that long then they are awesome for their lightweight and quick drying. I doubt you could thru-hike in these though. I do wish the pants were a bit more fitted in the waist/butt area.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Warm weather I wear board shorts for the same reason mentioned earlier. also I own like 10 pairs already…

otherwise I have a pair of Mountain Hardware Mesa Convertible pants and a pair of Mtn Hardware rain pants as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools