Topic

PossumDown sweater

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PossumDown sweater

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

I was thinking of buying the PossumDown sweater. I'm not concerned about the price (although I should be) but more concerned about the lack of any feed back from readers on this web site regarding how good or bad of clothing it is. Just about the only thing I read was an occasional gear suggestion for someone's gear list.

I know how good of beenie and gloves PossumDown makes as I own both. I also read lots of articles and posts saying how great the beenie, gloves, and socks are, but not a peep about the vest or sweater.

Does no one here want to admit paying $180 for a sweater? Has no one ever purchased this item (it's just on this site for looks)? Is it just not as good as the gloves, beenie, and socks? Is this supposed to be the best kept secret in UL backpacking? Or should I just shut up now and buy one and find out for my self how good or bad it really is?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I was looking at this to use in cold wet weather. Wool is the only thing I have found to keep me warm when soaked to the bone, and for 9 oz this peice sounds pretty good to me. Kind of wished they made long bottoms for sleeping in. Oh well.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Search the Forums, or check my much older Posts specifically for more info.

This is a great sweater as is the PD vest (a great vest, that is).

It is more fragile than other wool sweaters (perhaps too fragile for rough, backpacking use), but very comfortable and warm, IMHO. I am a "wool wimp". Wool drives me crazy. I feel it nearly ALL of the time – even on the move; really drives me crazy. Merino is diff., IME. I could wear this sweater with nothing underneath.

This sweater, for me at least, epitomizes all, or nearly all, of Vlad's positive comments on wool – cf., his voluminous writings on wool's virtues to be found in other Threads. I can add nothing to his praise of wool (it's amazing what Vlad Putin learned during his tenure heading up the KGB!).

The elbows will perhaps wear out quicker than you might like, as will the shoulders (elbows wearing faster on mine). While it will add more weight, when the elbows do wear out on my sweater, i will have someone sew on suede leather patches on the elbows. I wouldn't discard this sweater, it is already well on its way to becoming an old friend. I've been thinking of having it professionally modified with a partial length zip for improved ventilation purposes, thereby extending it's useful range (really to vent after an ascent) – it's already easy enough to don and doff w/o a zip.

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I own the PD sweater (as well as sox) and have been very pleased with its warmth, durability, and style. I don't think it has as nice a texture as ultra-soft merino wool (a few pokers here and there), but I always wear it over a merino base layer anyway, so this doesn't matter to me.

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Ben and pj, thanks for your responses. I'll check out Vlad's posts tonight after work.

Hope you guys don't mind me asking some more questions. Wondering how the fit is. Is it sized big or small? Can you compare the sizing to some other garmet on the market, so if I decide to buy, I know what size to get? Is it worth modifying the sweater before the elbows wear out to maximize my value, or perhaps just treat the sweater with kid gloves(still trying to save weight)? And lastly, how does the performance of the sweater compare to the other PD garmets? As I've said before, I own the beenie and gloves and would say they perform very well. Doesn't matter if it's wet or dry, the two keep me warm.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Gloves wear fairly fast, IME, esp. since i use trekking poles.

Sizing – i use a M which is precisely what i would expect to wear.

I'd just wait until the elbows show some wear, but before holes are worn through them, which is exactly what i'm doing now.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

My Pd Vest has been a favorite item for a year or more now. Size sm fits true, with a moderately athletic cut. I generally layer it over a merino baselayer, and under a hooded windshirt (durability less of and issue). Makes a great fringe-weather supplement to a 3-season kit. I comfortably hike in those 3 layers in the teens F, w/ headgear, gloves, etc. Remarkably less clammy from sweat than synthetics, ie- less rest-stop chill after exertion.

Early this week it may have been my saving grace, sleeping in an Arc Alpinist w/out adequate head insulation, temps near 10F. Anything much loftier would not have layered well under my cocoon and shell jacket, but the vest was just right. In some ways I think a longsleeve pd sweater and a hooded windshirt would perform better than my schoeller softshell for really cold winter conditions. My wish – a possumdown balaclava or hoody half-zip.

The beanie is great too. The gloves however were not durable enough for me (yep, trekking poles).

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Possum Fur, the way to go.

The advantage for me in possum down is that it is an ideal mid layer. It can be worn when moving when it is cold (with a windshirt) and equally can be used at rest breaks. I use both pullover and vest but prefer the vest for its applicability to moving and layering under a Micropuff in the evening.

I also use the hat, it is great, I have the gloves which are warmer than my Ibex Wool liner gloves, but it is the Ibex liners that I use with my trekking poles, the possum fur gloves, if I take them are for warmth in the evening.

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

While doing some of my research on the sweater I came across a site called New Zealand Gifts Mall (google it). They have PD gloves with leather patches on the palm for $22.05 US dollars. Shipping overseas is $5.00 plus $1.00 extra for each item (if it's light). I mention this because it may benefit those of you who wear your PD gloves while hiking with trekking poles. This might solve your issues with how durable the gloves are (or are not as the case may be).

Lucky for me this is not an issue. I usually wear my REI One gloves while hiking and only wear my PD gloves while in camp. The PD gloves are usually too warm for me to wear while hiking but just right for just kickin' back on cold days (or nights).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools