Topic

Rainbow versus Rainbow 2, thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rainbow versus Rainbow 2, thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I am in a quandary. I have been thinking about getting one, and this is my chance to save some money.
    Currently I use an REI Roadster for solo use, and a REI Quarterdome for when it is my son (9) and me. Neither tent is known for being "roomy". Which is fine as I am a cold sleeper, and prefer small tents. Cozy is fine with us. My son usually sleeps curled up next to me.

I am 5' 4", my son is 4' 5", so neither of us are tall.

Hence, here is my dilemma. Do I go for the Rainbow and squeeze the kid in, using it as both solo and two man tent? Or do I go for the bigger tent?
    Neither of us carry much gear. Vestibules are not a big deal, I just need room for our boots. I stack our packs under my head or feet for insulation at night, so we don't need storage room.

Basically, I am looking for a way to cut a much needed 2 lbs off my pack for the coming summer, when my son is coming with me on another long trip. Since he is carrying 1/2 the food, I don't want him carrying any of the tent. I am not looking forward to carrying a 4.2 lb tent for the two of us.

He carries normally a 9-13 lb pack, I carry between a 18-30 lb pack (both with food and water added in, depending on length of trip.)

The freestanding option is not important, as I am used to staking tents.

I may end up ordering both, and sending one back.

Any input if you have either of the Rainbows? Henry gave me some insight, but I wouldn't mind more beta.

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

Here's some advice for the future. Your son won't always be 4'5". You might find that in just a few years your son will no longer fit into the Rainbow with you and regret not buying the Rainbow 2 instead. On the other hand, if you upgrade tents every few years (or less) this may not be a consideration. If it were me, I would buy the Rainbow 2 and save money in the long run, and just carry the extra weight. Besides, you would only save about 8 oz if you went with the Rainbow vs the Rainbow 2.

If I remember correctly, the Roadster was around 2 lbs. So for a few ounces more you would have a huge palace for your solo trips. Doesn't that sound great?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

deleted as it added no new info – should have read all new Posts in the Thread b/f replying – good call, Duane.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Good points. Eh, I am mostly trying to tell myself I can spend the money ;-)
    And yes, I buy a new tent almost every year. Same with backpacks. I can't help it. Gear calls to me, or something!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

And yes, I buy a new tent almost every year. Same with backpacks. I can't help it. Gear calls to me, or something!

I hear ya. I own a GG Virga, Breeze, a G4, a Kelty Redwing and misc daypacks and the only think saving me from Granite Gear's Holiday sale this Saturday is the 350 mile round trip … and that is just barely a factor.

Perhaps BPL should add another forum … the GA forum.

"Hello, my name is Jim and I'm a gearaholic"

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

Hey pj, I for one respect your opinion. Even if you are mostly repeating what I have posted, you always have more insight than I do. I don't think that anyone would mind you posting comments peviously stated since you always have more to add to any discussion. I hope you don't delete any more of you posts, it only will aid the person with a question in making a decision based on the number of people with the same opinion. Again, please don't delete any more of your posts. I think I can speak for the majority when I say your opinion is not only welcome, but wanted.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Interesting to see what Ford will outgrow first: the tent or tenting with mom???

Sarah: I wouldn't worry about buying "extra space" for Ford to grow into — not just because of my somewhat cynical question above, but simply because you buy new gear so frequently anyway. Just buy whichever one gets you more excited! :)

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

i replied to Sarbar's Post before reading the rest of the Thread, most notably your reply.

>>"you always have more"

actually, in this case less (it was an uncharacteristically brief post). i only mentioned ONE of the same observations you made – her son will grow taller and broader.

>>"it only will aid the person with a question in making a decision based on the number of people with the same opinion"

once again, good point – Duane 2, pj 0
    (looks like that BPL ranking algorithm may have gotten our respective ranks reversed!! ;) [so no mistake – great job on the latest iteration of the ranking algorithm.]

i hope implicit in my deletion was the fact that i was adding my "Amen", so to speak, to your astute observation.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Defintely, Ben, I have that fear: he has been asking for his own tent since this past summer. I have thought about it, I could give him my Roadster, and use the Rainbow 1. Yet, I worry that he will get scared, etc, and want to crawl in with me.

On the other hand, I got to spend $394 on a brake job this week, and buy two new front tires for my Explorer, after my boss left a massive pile of nails on the side of the warehouse-which of course I found a way to drive one tire over and got a nice flat tire on the way to work.

I think I DESERVE that tent now ;-) And a backpacking trip as soon as Christmas season is over!

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I think what you will find is that as he grows older, he will want to be by himself in his own tent and still enjoy your presence nearby. As he enters puberty this will certainly manifest itself. He may be uncomfortable sleeping with Mom in one tent. I used to backpack with my daughter who is now 20 and we shared the same tent until she reached 11. Then I had to give her her own space, so to speak, for obvious reasons. She still really enjoyed camping with me but now she had her own needs to take care of. We still ocassionally hike together and I really think that having her own tent (that she carries) has improved our outings and relationship.

Making the decision to give him his own lightweight tent I think would show that you see him as being capable in the wilderness — it is a measure of independence. If you involve him in the process it will demonstrate your willingness to trust him to make good decisions. After all, he will have to live with this decision and learn from it. (At least until your next gear fix takes control of you.)

Additional Thoughts:
    Even at 9 he would be as old as many scouters who regularly backpack with their troops. Letting him truly share in the distribution of the weight and gear, I believe would enhance his sense that he is a partner in the wilderness with and not a passenger as you slog up the trail carrying much of the gear. Even if it means fewer trail miles because he is truly sharing in the weight, it may end up being a more enjoyable trip. INHMO

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Mitchell, you drive a good point on the tent. He at this point carries all of his personal gear (pack, sleeping pad and bag, clothing, etc). I carry the cooking gear, tent and food for us. Part of why I went light was so I could take him on most trips-and not be a pack donkey bent over.

I have actually considered getting another solo tent so that both of us can have our own space. I know it would be nice to not have him rolling on top of me or kicking me in his sleep.

Ford usually can do about 10 miles a day, and at present he carries about 13 lbs loaded with water. I am very fortunate that he loves backpacking as much as I do :-) I just want to make sure it doesn't fade in the next couple years. It has been a good run for the past 4 years!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hey, I have a Texsport … oh wait, never mind! :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

"Hey, I have a Texsport … oh wait, never mind! :)"

Hah! I think I'll move and then you can't ship it back to me. LOL!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools