Topic

Water tight cylinder container

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Water tight cylinder container

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

I take a lot of the vitamin boost Airborne Effervescent, they come in these 2 inch long plastic cylinders with a good air tight cap. most health food stores carry it.
    after a while I ended up with a bunch of these containers.
    Airborne container

I'm thinking of ways to re-use them:

water tight container for matches

or use them for vitamins, imagine that!

or for the petroleum jelly cotton balls fire starters

I was thinking since the 35 mm film containers probably have chemical poisonous residue, these Airborne containers are made for stuff safe to ingest…

you can use it to collect rainwater from the tent, about the capacity of a 3 tablespoons.

they are air tight, water proof, can float?

if you have any suggestions for multiple uses, let me know.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

If they can float then potentially as a float for fishing. Also could store fishing lines and hooks in it before using it as a float.

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Hold cheese? Sprinkle on food.

Hold salt? Lots of it?

Hold Fire starter?

Play catch.

Tic Tacs

Thumb tacs – not sure why you would need them, but you could carry many.

Hold vitamins?

Arlan Beeck

@highpeakdrifter

If its waterproof, it would work well for carrying Everclear into a restaurant to "boost" the alcohol content of your free ice water without having to buy a drink.

You'd have to be alert, though, in case your waiter wants to refresh your ice water.

I learned this from a Spalding Gray movie…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I snagged a bunch of similar containers for free at a garage sale that once had blood sugar test strips in them. I really liked the lid closure – waterproof but could be flip up or closed with one hand. A bit smaller than a 35mm canister, but really close.

I take an assortment of OTC and prescription pills in it (NOTE: I CAN ID EACH PILL TYPE BY COLOR AND SHAPE).

Aspirin for blood thinning during long air travel.

Advil for 4-6 hour pain relief

Aleve for 12-hour pain relief

Ambien to gaurantee sleep and/or realign to a new time zone or during a redeye flight

Benadryl for sniffles, alergic reaction, anaphylactic shock, back-up sleep aid.

at other times, I've also carried Imodium to slow down diarrhia (for the reverse situation, lots of plants function as laxatives), and predisone for contact dermatitis (poison oak).

I also used one of those containers to take a friend's fiance's ashes to the Colorado River and the Great Wall of China and scattered some of him there.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David, are these good enough for Olive oil and the like?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I'd stick with name-brand Nalgene in a 1-, 2-, or 4-ounce size for nasty liquids. In part because of the pressurization that happends to a container when you ascend. They weren't that solid nor liquid-tight. Or, if you have more then 4 ounces, an 8- or 12-ounce recycled water bottle with screw cap. Thinner sidewalls, so don't poke through it, but the screw caps are fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools