Topic

..and another MYOG Pyramid Tent inspired by Jerry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ..and another MYOG Pyramid Tent inspired by Jerry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Locale: Down Under

Inspired by Jerry Adam's floorless pyramid project, I bought some materials from Quest Outfitters and got to work with the sewing machine for my first MYOG sewing project.

Here is the final result:

Orange mid

You can see more photos on my blog.

Andrew

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great job! Nice pitch too.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice job. Seams look very regular – few weird wrinkles next to seam.

I wonder how your .433 inch poles will do in windy weather? I have .65, but I'm pretty sure they're over-kill.

Now you're addicited to MYOG : )

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

That looks pretty sweet. Nice work.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

I think I saw your DIY snow pegs on a German language forum. Good work!

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Thanks all!

Jerry – I used the tent for the first time last weekend, in snow. Got a bit of snow on the tent itself and the pole was bending significantly. You can see the discussion regarding this on an Australian bushwalking forum.

My conclusion is that a heavier pole is required for winter, so have gone with a ski poles + connecting strap solution that I found here on the forums here.

I plan to test it out in the snow in a couple of week's time.

For summer use I would like to make the .433" pole a little longer, as required. Am considering using the approach suggested by Bob Gross on BPL in this thread.

Andrew

PS. Yes, I've caught the MYOG bug

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That is just not right!

Snow???

It's in the 80s F every day here, uncomfortably hot, but that should make someone laugh who lived in the rest of the U.S. where it's actually hot.

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Just a quick note to follow up my earlier comment about combining two ski poles to form the tent pole for my pyramid tent. Trialled them on a recent alpine walk here in Australia.

I removed the baskets from the poles, pushed one end of a length of tubular mesh cord onto each pole tip, then bound the poles together using 2-sided hook & loop. Worked a treat and much more sturdy that the Easton poles I'd use before – I will use the Eastons when I am not using ski or trekking poles.

Ski poles connected for tent pole

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools