Topic

Shaving 1.27oz in baggies from my FSO Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shaving 1.27oz in baggies from my FSO Weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I was walking my GF's dog this morning, picking up his poo with the little doggie bags that are on the leash, when I remembered what my GF said about the special little (somewhat costly) bags a time ago when I asked why plastic shopping bags wouldn't do for free?

"The shopping bags rip/split too easy. Would you want to grab some poo and come to find a bag had a small hole in it? These bags are much tougher."

I then started to ask myself:
    A) What do they weigh? (They don't register on my digital scale)
    B) Are they tough enough? (Definitely, very tough to poke a hole w/ my finger)
    C) Would I get annoyed tying and untying the bags vs. sealing and resealing ziplock bags? (To be determined)

Anyway, on a long wknd hike I carry the following quart freezer ziplock bags:

(Freezer bag cooking)
    Fri. Lunch
    Fri. Dinner
    Sat. Breakfast
    Sat. Lunch
    Sat. Dinner
    Sun. Breakfast
    Sun. Lunch
    Digital Camera (carried in pants pocket)
    Toiletries/1st Aid kit

So the bags don't register on my kit, but let's call them 1g for one bag to be conservative. A 1qt Freezer Bag weighs 5g. By replacing them with doggie bags, potentially I could save 9 x 5g = 45g, then add back 1g per bag and you net 36g/1. 27oz.

I think it won't be that big a deal to tie a baggie here or there, but we'll see. And I genuinely think these bags are much tougher than my ziplock bags, especially at the seems, again we'll see.

They are good sized. Here is one laid out on my thigh:

12q2

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

what kind of monster dog do you have that you take that enormous bag along for its turds?

On a serious note, I too sometimes find myself examining everyday items and wondering what they weigh and whether they'd be useful in the field. Bordering on a sickness sometimes…

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

you have tried cooking in them and they are OK hot?

Keith Craigs

@keithcraigs

Just a thought; I doubt they are approved for food use and possibly full of toxic materials.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Hrmm, you guys are right about cooking. That might kill 78% of my savings. SOB! :p

What kind of key words would I be looking at for food certifications or just the type of plastic used? I see biodegradable ones, but haven't looked all that much.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

….I am finding the biodegradable bags are made of corn starch. That would make them food safe because they aren't made of plastic (leaching or not), right?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

are you counting the twist ties you're going to have to use?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Didn't make it apparent, my bad. I'll be tying a regular old knot…not super tight, but not lose. I should be able to get it undone ok.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

….I am finding the biodegradable bags are made of corn starch. That would make them food safe because they aren't made of plastic (leaching or not), right?

Be careful. Just because they're made from corn starch doesn't mean they don't also contain plasticizers (often phthalate based) and other non-food safe compounds.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Agreed, I'm going to email some companies.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools