Topic

MYOG X-PAC sandwich pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG X-PAC sandwich pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Hello again everyone, nice of you to drop by.
    This will be my second post over here, first one being a a flat solo cuben fiber tarp, as well as a lot of reading, adoring stunning MYOG projects and trying to listen to your experience.

But. As you will see in the pictures, the weather outside is crazy. So I’d better get to it. I didn’t take as many photos during the progress this time, but I managed to round up a few.

Here it goes. As usual I started off planning, sketching, calculating and drawing. When I was happy with the result, I printed out a 1:1 paper model.

the grand theory

Not completely happy, I proceeded fine tuning it, then copying it to the actual fabric.

Marking and cutting the fabric

Unfortunately I miss the sexy pictures of me sewing. Too sexy. But here’s the mid-term result.

Sewing pack front
    Sewing top reinforcements
    Sewing bottom reinforcement

No, I can’t lie any longer, I’m a bad person. I did take the pause I was talking about in the beginning. The weather down below my balcony was too nice to waste. I'm posting this "the next day".

Pause

So, onto yesterdays photo shoot. I didn’t have the guts to make the shoulder straps and hip-belt, but I had a rescue plan. I borrowed the shoulder straps from my Haglöfs Endurance hydration pack and the hip-belt from my Haglöfs Rand 28+8 pack, they are both removable. In hindsight, it’s rather clever, multi use and thus, sustainable. For the compression system, I opted for 3mm dyneema core chords and linelocks. Side compression designed in a zig-zag pattern. I didn't do the Y top compression as the original plan, with a buckle. Instead, I just looped it in a V. The webbing is long enough so it doesn't restrict packing, then it's tightened through a ladderlock.

Side compression
    Top compression
    Hipbelt
    Shoulder straps

Aand, finally the posing part. First off packed kind of as small as it gets, then regular hike-size.

Small load
    Medium pack / the end

I’d like to note that packing it smaller than the first picture distorts the shape. I tried it last weekend during a town festival. Although I got – something in the shape of – complements from everyone on my new hobby, they where somewhat ironic due to the look of the thing. I Did however argue for a better fit when packed with more stuff and did win them over – I think. I do think I could still use a one size bigger drybag if needed, didn’t have one at home though. Drybags used are a Tatonka M and L, not knowing exact size, I’d recon 25 and 50 litres.

It was harder to make a pack than the a tarp, but I learned a lot during the process. I know I’d design some things differently in the future so, onto the next project. Packs, pyramid shelter, bicycle bag…

Lastly, I’d like to thank everyone on these forums, especially Chrisopher Zimmer, who inspired me – to the point that the pack looks perhaps too much like his.

And no, although I look sad in the last picture, with the project is finished and all, I didn’t jump.

If you got this far, thank you. I would be glad if you left a sentence or two.
    Best regards,
    Daniel Sandström
    Finland

edit. typos, links

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Somehow the links don't cooperate.

Do check out my tarp if you found the pack interresting.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=50440

Regards,
    Daniel

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Please forgive me.

Pack total weight is 450 grams (15.87 oz) of which the waistbelt is 139 grams (4.90 oz) and shoulder straps are 134 grams (4.73 oz).

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Hey Daniel nice job on the pack, it looks like it fits you really good! I like the one piece design you used on this pack, makes for less sewing and you don't have to worry about seams failing. Did you draw your pattern pieces by hand or print them out?

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Thank's Christopher (for the post and the inspiration)!

Actually, there are two pieces, just as the paper model in the first picture, but other than that, yes it's one piece. Compared to yours where the compression tie-out points are added. I guess it's two way's of doing it. I really like the way I did the front piece, two pieces sewed front-to-front and then turned inside out, comes out really nice. On the back piece though, I opted for edge binding. That was hard though and didn't come out as good as I would have wanted. Would be nice to have a edge binding foot / tool.

I started of sketching alot, then making a drawing with AutoCAD and printing it. The nice thing about AutoCAD is the easy scaling, I find it challenging to draw a full size by hand. Once I had the paper model I did alter it so it would have nicer curves. That part I do not like about AutoCAD, the perfect curves can't compete with the human eye, hand and pencil. :)

If (more like when!) I do generation two I'd make the side compression tie-outs broader. So the chords would run more like 90°… One example. You gain soo much knowledge. :)

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Daniel,
    Really like design of your Dry bag sandwich pack it has very unique styling and I really like the one piece construction. The only thing you could add is 8mm to 16 mm thick modular removable padded back sleeve that fit under the back compression cords.So the cord's don't rub on your back then the pack would be prefect.
    Terry

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Sweet pack Daniel! I like the flexibility of it. The APAC started out as a concept similar to your Pastrami on Rye but morphed into a fully enclosed pack. I want to make a dry bag hauler at some point though. A couple of questions for you. What is the function of the cord crisscrossing along the back panel (in between the pack and your back)? Will you provide some more detail on how you attached the shoulder straps and hipbelt? I can't quite tell from the pictures. Can you transfer the pack weight to your hips pretty well?

It's weird how nice the lime green XPAC looks on all these packs posted here but seems way too neon in person to me. I originally planned on using more of it on my pack but decided it was too bright. I might just have to give it a second chance though because your pack looks great.

Anymore MYOG plans?

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Thank you for the nice words.
    I just came home from an overnighter – well, I went for a pizza before writing this. Did you mean putting, for example a CCF pad between the pack and my back? I've tried with a two piece z-lite ripoff and on this trip without a pad. I can honestly say I didn't feel the chords at all. At first I was actually planning on making a Gossamer Gear style sleeve but ended up not doing it, was it such a sleeve you were talking about, or a "pocket" in the back fabric?
    Great discussion.

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Hi Christopher. Nice of you to drop by.
    Just got home from the first Real test trip.

Q: Crisscrossing on the back
    A: It's for holding a sitpad/backpad. Similar to the ones on gossamer gear packs and quite exactly as the Laufbursche Huckepacks, Hendrik has a good how-to-pack video where this feature is highlighted. One might think the chords would be uncomfortable, but I can not notice them at all when wearing the pack. :) Point though, I would add some low and high stop (GG style) so the pad don't stand a chance moving.
    The hipbelt is actually quite good, absolutely enough for light loads. I like when it's fastened a bit more in the center of the pack, rather than the side, as it wraps around better.

I'll post more pictures on monday morning. Faster connection…

Also, I think the compression system of the pack, similar to the Ohm has one quite big flaw. As you move around, the weight will slowly move downwards and disturbs the proportions (more length of chord at the lower end). I've read about this on some Ohm forum some time ago. Have you had any problems with that? I just put the center chord in a twist, let's see if that fixes it.. Otherwise, I'll take the punishment of two more linelocks next time and do like on the Osprey Exos.

Next plans. Well, first off I want a insulating vest. Not going to make that one myself though. What I also really need is better bug protection for the tarp. Right now I've only got a small net, which sometimes falls down on my face while I sleep. Not nice, I guess that somehow, the mosquitos have figured out that if they're many enough, they can weight the net down and suck my face. :p

After that I'll do some more with the rest of the green X-pac VX07. A mtb frame bag and then a bunch of pockets, hipbelt, camera etc… work on my sewing. :) The next big one will probably be a two person pyramid shelter. I don't know, I love the lone vagabond, but as the evening comes, sometimes I can't help thinking it would be nice with a friend.

Wow. long post.
    Bye.

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Here's some additional pictures.

Compression chords
    Hipbelt attachment
    Shoulder straps
    Shoulder strap attachment

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Thanks Daniel. Much more clear.

Where did you get those lineloc style buckles?

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

I bought them from http://extremtextil.de/ along with all other material (pack&tarp). The purchase went really smooth, I can recommend them. Think I've read they ship worldwide.

What are your experience making shoulder straps and hipbelts? Is it challenging? How much do your weigh, probably lighter than the ones I used… Must make my own next time. :)

Edit. How did you do the edge binding? Special presser foot?

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

I'll have to check out extremtextil. I'm not sure I want these bad enough to pay for shipping from Germany though…

I don't think making shoulder straps and hipbelts is all that challenging. The hardest part is getting the design right so they fit nicely. To start out I would just copy the shape of ones you like. I didn't weight the ones I made but I'm sure they could be lighter.

Edge binding – I probably did it the hard way but I just pinned it into position then sewed it.

Andrew Sleigh

@andrewsleigh

Hi Daniel,
    lovely pack. I like the reuse of removable hipbelt from another pack. You can only wear one pack at once, so it makes sense to re-use those bits.

If the lime green fabric is x-pac, what fabric is the darker green – and why did you use two different fabrics? Or is the darker green fabric just a drybag you already had? That would be a cunning design!

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Hi!
    Glad you found your way here too.
    Yes, both the hipbelt and the shoulder straps are from other packs. I do like the removable hipbelt, but would probably make fixed shoulder straps next time. But yes, multiuse. :)

The pack is all x-pac vx07, then there's the drybag which is a bit darker. It works more like a drybag holder than regular pack. :) Similar to, for example, the ULA Epic. As I said earlier I really like the e-pac vx07 and plan to use it again soon. It's easy to work with, durable enough (long-term?) and waterproof. Can't get a hold of dyneema x gridstop here in Europe either so…

Hava a good time making gear!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools