Topic

Lazy High Calorie Fudge For Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Lazy High Calorie Fudge For Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

So, ya want calories for them winter trips? And you don’t cook or want to slave for a long time? Well, look no further! This here will make a nice brick of fudge in about 5 minutes.
    Fudge, you say? Heavy yes, but perfect if you slip it into your friends pack when they are not looking ;-) Though it is tasty enough that you can bribe someone into carrying it usually!

In a medium heavy sauce pan melt over low heat:
    18 oz’s semi sweet chocolate chips (3 cups)
    1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    a tiny pinch of salt (couple grains of sea or kosher)

When melted add in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    Stir in well using a spatula.

Pour into a 8×8 or 9×9 pan that is lined with parchment paper or saran wrap. Have the paper go over the edges of the pan. Using the spatula, flatten and spread out the fudge.
    Put in fridge for a couple hours till hardened, then take out and cut up, or for winter camping, just wrap the brick in saran wrap, and put in a gallon freezer bag. Cut as wanted in camp.

Nutritional info: When I have time, I’ll run it.

Notes: Nuts and candy add in well. You can also use any flavor of “chips” in the recipe for a different taste.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

WOW, Sarbar,

i never knew fudge was that easy to make. i’m sure with all that sugar creating an osmotically unstable environment, bacterial spoilage and maybe molds also, aren’t much of a concern. Please let me know, from you own personal experience, if you agree with this last statement, i.e. have you ever had bacteria or mold spoil your fudge. If so, how long did it take?

BTW, do people here know about your excellent recipe book? i purchased a copy, but haven’t read the whole thing or flipped through it in quite a while (i’m still hooked on going cookless, eating just GORP, and just heating water for green tea and sometimes oatmeal). i’m sure others would get far more use from your excellent book than i have gotten to date (this due to my own negligence in using it to spice up my trail diet). Though i have used it for preparing myself some dinners one time when my wife was away at a Medical Conference! Your book is right up there on the shelf next to the Joy of Cooking (the “Bible” of in-Home cookbooks, IMHO).

[Note: sometimes my accident induced “old-timers” really acts up and i fear that it may be actin’ up right ’bout now. i hope that i’m not confusing you with someone else. i have two excellent trail recipe books – one by a woman and one by a man. for some reason, i’ve been equating you with that woman. PLEASE correct me if i’m mistaken.]

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hey PJ, you got the right person ;-) We have book 2 almost ready also!

As for fudge, I only carry it in winter (it would be the calories and fat and my guilt eating it any other time!) I do keep it cold, and we eat it in 3 days or less. I wouldn’t carry large amounts in warmer weather, as I would be worried about it getting soft and yes, bacteria. The recipe does work a bit better since it doesn’t have butter or cream added, which would spoil faster. If a person did carry it in warmer weather, I’d be careful with using a clean knife to cut it.
    I have another fudge recipe on my website which has even more fat in it ;-)
    Sarah

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Sarah – this fudge is almost identical to one my Mom made when I was a kid. I was talking with her about it this morning and she made this back when they didn’t have a fridge – she’d keep it for several weeks without refridgeration, that is if her brother didn’t find it first.

Sweetened condensed milk is already cooked. Basically it is sweetened milk that has been boiled down to reomve more than 60% of the water.

Your fudge, once set, can be kept out of the fridge. I wrap each serving separately in waxed paper and then put it in a zip bag.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Sarah, I read on your site that book two is for Scouts. Looks like you are going to have some competition as Tim and Christine Conners have been publicly asking for recipes and working on a similar book for a considerably long time now.

Here is the info…

Books by Conners – Scout Cookbook

This will be interesting to observe as it will be Published vs Self-Published on the same theme. The nice thing about the cookbook industry is that there is lots of room for ideas and cookbooks along the same lines.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

for some reason 1/2 the post didn’t show up and the edit function was pointing me somewhere else. So here is the full message…

Sarah, I read on your site that book two is for Scouts. Looks like you are going to have some competition as Tim and Christine Conners have been publicly asking for recipes and working on a similar book for a considerably long time now.

Here is the info…

Books by Conners – Scout Cookbook

The nice thing about the cookbook industry is that there is lots of room for ideas and cookbooks along the same lines.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

That is actually book 4. I have 3 I am working on right now. Book 2 is my pet project. It has been a fun piece to work on.
    As for the Scouts, my son is active in Cub Scouts and when I have time I give presentations to the local Boy Scout troops on trail cooking. Quite fun indeed to do. My husband was a Scout when he was young.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I saw this via an email I get often this morning:
    Edit:I am posting this disclaimer:
    I received this recipe in a mass mailing I get from one of my recipe groups. It is a Kraft recipe also, which is most likely where the recipe was picked up from. I posted this recipe because, dang, it is nummy!
    So maybe my net nanny will find something else to do with their time, hmmmmm?
    The recipe has been rewritten in an easier to read style, and how to do on a stove. I tried the recipe out tonight, after work and was very happy with it. I can see it will be a recipe that gets posted and shared quite a bit. I used the stove method, as I am wary of using a microwave to melt chocolate. Bags of white chocolate chips could be subbed.

White Chocolate Fudge:

2 pkg. (6 squares each) BAKER'S Premium White Baking Chocolate
    3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup coarsely chopped PLANTERS Almonds, toasted
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1 Tbsp. grated orange peel

Line an 8X8 pan with parchment paper, with ends extending over sides of pan. Microwave chocolate and milk in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted; stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add almonds, cranberries and orange peel; stir until well blended.
    Spread chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
    Take fudge from pan, using paper. Cut up.
    Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks, tightly wrapped. (Do not freeze.)

This can also could be done on the stove in a heavy saucepan. Melt slowly and blend then proceed as above. A silicone spatula works well in cooking and packing the fudge. Yummers.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Chocolate-Peppermint Fudge:

3 cups chocolate chips
    1/2 cup butter (use only butter)
    1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup fresh, chopped peppermint leaves (the leaves must be 100% dry of any water)

Put chocolate, butter and milk into a Pyrex glass bowl, put that over a gently simmering pot of water on the stove. Using the double boiler method, slowly melt. Stir periodically. When melted, add the walnuts and peppermint leaves.
    Pour into a parchment lined 8×8 pan. Put into the refrigrator till cold. Wrap in saran wrap tightly.

Rocky Road Fudge:

12 oz's semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 package)
    11 oz's butterscotch chips (1 package)
    1 16 oz bag of minature marshmallows
    1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy works best)

Put the chips and peanut butter into a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes at 70%. Stir well. If needed microwave for another minute in 10-15 second intervals. When smooth, add in marshmallows and mix up. Spread in parchment lined 8×8 pan and cool. Store sealed in saran wrap.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Another fudge recipe that is worth the time to try:

PB & Chocolate Fudge:

2/3 cup milk
    2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup mini marshmallows
    2 cups chunky peanut butter
    1/2 cup plain M&M's

In a 2 quart pot, combine milk and sugar. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, then simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and quickly add marshmallows, PB and M&M's. Mix well. Pour into a prepared pan and allow to cool, then cut and wrap tightly.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I have been making this recipe for a number of years. It is truly high fat and high calorie.

The Easiest Best Fudge Ever:

1 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 Tbl unsalted butter
    1/2 cup heavy cream (ie. whipping cream)
    1 3/4 cup miniature marshmallows
    1 1/2 cups of chips (use any flavor! Chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, butterscotch, mint, etc)
    1/2 tsp vanilla or whatever flavor extract you would like (almond, peppermint, etc.)

Combine sugar, salt, butter, cream and marshmallows in a heavy medium saucepan. Set over medium heat, cook, stirring until butter and marshmallows are almost melted. That will take about 5-6 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Take off burner. Add chips and flavoring to pan. Start stirring and keep that going until all the chips are melted and it looks all nicely mixed. Pour into a 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Let sit for 3 hours (or 1 in the fridge) before you take out of the pan.
    Store wrapped tightly, and yes, this one needs to be kept reasonably cold due to the dairy.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yes, I love fudge, so here is another one! I made this one two winters ago for a snowshoeing trip.
    It isn’t pretty, but is tasty!

Bear Scat Fudge:

It might be Cranberry Fudge, and it might be tasty, but pretty it is not.

1 package of semi sweet chocolate chips
    1/4 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 cup canned evaporated milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 6 oz package dried Craisins or dried cranberries

In a heavy medium sauce pan, over low heat, melt the chips and corn syrup, stirring, till melted. Watch this, and do not leave. Take off heat. Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix well, until smooth. Add in craisins and pour into your pan. Refrigerate for 8 hours, then cut. This fudge is flexible, and should be cut while cold.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Windowpane Fudge:

2 cups (12-oz. pkg.)semisweet chocolate chips
    1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups miniature marshmallows

Slowly melt the chips in a heavy saucepan with the milk. When melted, take off the heat and add in the vanilla. Then add in the marshmallows. Pack tightly into a 8×8 pan that is fully lined with parchment paper. Use a silicone spatula to pack it down tightly. Chill till solid (2 or so hours) then wrap in saran wrap tightly.

Why is it Window Pane? It looks like stained glass when you cut it. It works well with nuts added in if you like them also. If you like funky, use the colored marshmallows. Milk chocolate can be subbed.

It is a "lighter" fudge overall in texture and taste. It also is lighter to carry!

Kevin Pietriyk

@pietriyk

Locale: Northeastern PA

My best friend used to make a fudge-like substance from peanut butter, sugar, powdered milk, and I'm not sure what else. He used to roll it into balls and eat them as a snack. The "Bear Scat Fudge" thing really reminded me of that. Things like that are always fun to pull out in a crowded shelter and start eating! ;)

I am really hooked on Craisins, I buy the wally world version now, much cheaper. My parents live in the middle of a huge area of wild blueberries, so I have lots of those dried raisin-like. Might be more "realistic" in the aforementioned simulated confectionery bear-leavings!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I have that recipe somewhere. Sounds identical to my Aunt's peanut butter balls. I can dig it up if you like.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

face it – there are no new ideas when it comes to cooking – just reinventions of old ones

Aunt G's PB Balls (the recipe originated at my Grandmother's bakery)

1 cup of peanut butter
    1 tablespoon of softened butter
    1 cup of icing sugar
    1 tablespoon of instant milk powder

Mix together and then add 1 cup of crispy cereal (I use Rice Krispies).
    Roll into balls and enjoy.

If you are making these for consumption at home or for a gift then make a thin icing with icing sugar, water and instant milk powder. Dip the balls in the powder and roll in coconut. You can also skip the icing and dip them in melted chocolate.

Edit… forgot to mention… they taste even better if you let them sit for awhile… not that anyone here has been able to do that. Recipe also works well cut in half and without the powdered milk (I've skipped that when I didn't have any).

I also found a wicked chicken dish that incorporates PB if you want that.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

While I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for copyright issues, we've moderated this thread and removed that unrelated discussion. The issue was quickly and properly resolved.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, it's proper place is in CHAFF.

This thread started about Fudge, is now again, all about Fudge, should continue to be about Fudge, and the Fudge theme should remain in perpetuity in this thread.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Fudge was a staple of food for my trek in the Arctic this summer.

The calorie / oz ratio is rather adjustable and optimizable without destroying palatability.

I used organic almond butter, ghee, Klim (dry whole milk), sunflower seeds, and brown sugar. I didn't measure anything, just sort of mixed it all up in a bowl. It was last minute calorie paranoia – I made it in a Kotzebue hotel the day before I left.

Boy, was it good :)

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

DrJ, in deciding how to purge this Thread of Posts that added no dietary value whatsoever and were in fact overly difficult to digest, is it true that, in determing which Posts to "flush", you employed your own "Fudge Factor"?

Ah…the aroma of freshly prepared fudge is once again wafting through this Thread. I'm startin' to get a hankerin' for some fudge.

Copyright vs. USConstitution, hmmm…there's a poser. Just kidding you, as you could probably tell from some other recent Posts of mine on the USConstitution. Speaking of which…

You might want to do the same "flushing" with some Posts (including mine) in another Thread that some of us (me in particular) hijacked. I think that it was a Thread in the BPL Member's Only area. Many thanks for the fast and efficient Janitorial Service you performed (is Jan. Srv. in the fine print of your job description?).

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

Sarah,

Thanks for sharing the fudge recipes with us. I am going to make a few of them this weekend.

I bought 20 of your books for a class that I am teaching to Boy Scout leaders. I know that your book will make a difference on the scouting program out here. I have used and enjoyed a number of your recipes this summer. It really makes a difference in ultra-light backpacking when all you have to do is boil water and no messy cleanup.

BTW the books arrived last week.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I was researching dehydrated chocolate to make up my own mix for fudge or drinks, etc. (Has anybody looked into dehydrated food from the U.S. gov? Like surplus dehydrated stuff in bulk or whatever so it is real cheap?)

By accident I found the following amazing report from the Defense Department, while looking up dehydrated food stuff for UL purposes. Incredible edibles I would call it — $13,000,000 to be spent in one year on dehydrating food products — what could pj, RJ, and the rest do with that much research money??? Their slogan must be "Where's the …. dehydrated beef?"

DEFENSE LOGISTICS AGENCY

Advocacy & Resource Corporation, Cookeville, Tenn., is being awarded an estimated $13,894,093 firm fixed price and fixed price with economic price adjustment contract for luncheon meat; dehydrated beef chunks; dehydrated cottage cheese; dehydrated egg mix; dehydrated chocolate and vanilla ice milk shake mix; dry nonfat milk; tomato paste; instant orange juice; dehydrated potato mix; bread flour; granulated sugar; imitation maple syrup; dehydrated beef noodle, tomato-vegetable, and chicken noodle soup; butters, chocolate, and vanilla dessert powder; shortening; salad oil; deep fry vegetable oil; and roasted and ground coffee. One proposal was solicited and one was received. Work is expected to be completed by Dec. 31, 1997. Funds will not expire at the end of the fiscal year. The Defense Personnel Support Center, Philadelphia, Pa., is the contracting activity (SP0300-97- D-1000).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Glad to hear they got there in time!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

These recipes are not fudge in the fudge sense, but are more than sugar and fat.

Healthy Fuel "Fudge"

1/2 cup cashew butter
    1/2 cup chopped cashews
    1/4 cup craisins
    1/4 cup soy milk powder or dried powdered milk
    2 Tbl honey

Combine all ingredients. Store in a freezer bag /or a plastic tub.

Peanut Butter "Fudge":

1 1/2 cups quick oats
    1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
    1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350*.

Combine oats, milk, salt and vanilla. Stir in peanut butter and chips. Press into a 8X8" baking pan (greased). Bake for 30 minutes. Cool, cut and wrap tightly.

Peanut Butter "Fudge" #2:

1 cup crunchy no salt Peanut Butter

1/2 cup soy or dairy dry milk

1/2 cup raisins

1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/8 cup wheat germ

1/8-1/4 cup honey

Mix all ingredients together, till well blended. Form into a roll, wrap in plastic wrap. Cut pieces when wanted.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

How about fudge-like: I like an old family recipe my mom calls 'duck pudding' for some secret reason:

Using a meat grinder, grind together:
    prunes, dates, figs or other dried fruit of your choice, pecans and/or walnuts or any other nut you find on bulk sale. Press into a pan, cut into squares, dry. You can add oatmeal, cocoa powder or even chocolate bars. Just keep grinding it together until the texture seems right and it holds together enough to make into bars. No cooking.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I bet my food processor would work well on doing that. My mom made something very similar when I was a kid, with her old school metal meat grinder (the clamp on the counter type). She would cut it in pieces and roll it in coconut.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools