Topic

Inexpensive quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inexpensive quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

Hi I am looking for an inexpensive quilt to replace my 2.64 lb sleeping bag. I need one rating to 20-30 degrees F. And no more than $200. What is out there and what is highly reccomended?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Casey,

Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller is a great value at $269.95 and it is what I have been using for the past year and a half.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm#SierraSniveller

Maybe the Golite Quilts, but the 1st version of their 20F quilt was universally considered a 30F quilt….optimistic temp ratings. The current version may have resolved that issue.

The JRBs is rated to 25F and I am a cold sleeper….I have tested it down to 22F by laying up on my clothing and using a bivy.

If you are a side sleeper, the quilt might be a bit narrow, but fact is…many of the quilts are narrow to save weight….only some of the more expensive quilts out there seem to be wider.

P.S. On 2nd review of your post, it seems that I am an idiot and did not see your $200 price limit. Sorry about that. Upon doing a quick check of the Golite quilts….they are in the same price range as the JRB. I would suggest that you consider posting on the gear swap on BPL what you are looking for and your budget. Though, if you can swing the extra money, think you will be happy with the JRB.

-Tony

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Tony,

+2 for noting that you use your quilt in a bivy and that it might be too narrow for a side sleeper.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

thru-hiker.com

quilt kit last I checked it was $160 + $25 for an extra 3oz of down which you may need to get down to 25 degrees

you have to make it your self or get a friend to make it for you. Good thing is you can make it to your dimensions and warmth requirments

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

MLD Spirit or enLIGHTened equipment prodigy are both good options under $200. MLD is lighter (cut smaller) enlightened are heavier (more coverage and cut for side sleeping) but they use the same materials 20D nylon and Climashield APEX. I make the enlightened ones but either would be great as long as you find the right size for you.

-Tim

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

You might want to check out Te-wa Underquilts. I was planning on having Javan Dempsey make one for me, but am currently happy with my Golite Ultra 20. I tried it as a "starter" quilt, no complaints here.

Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

Locale: PNW

The summer quilt from Hammock Gear is $199.

I really don't think you can find a sleeping bag or quilt for under $200 that is rated under 30F, however, unless you find something on sale.

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

I have the hammockgear burrow 3-season ($229 + shipping). The normal length is acceptable to me at a hair under 6ft. While it is designed as a 30 degree(and depending who you ask even lower 15-20F) quilt, with drafts in a tent you will still get cold. — This is true of most quilts unless they are specifically made wide since most are designed to be used with a hammock underquilt. With a sewing machine and a little time you can sew for 2-3 ounces a draft barrier out of silk, etc to help with ground use.

Casey Balza

@equals

Awesome, thanks for a list of quilts for me to look at. They all look good to me.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I make synthetic quilts with M90 and climashield apex 2.5 or 5 one with 5 would get you to 30 weight is 20 ounces shoulder girth roughy 54 price 150$ shipped pm
    Me if your interested and I'll email pics and exact measurements jacks r better and hammock gear are also great deals

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have 3 of tims quilts and highly recommend them. I am sure his apex quilts are sewn with the same skill as the down quilts, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy.htm

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

GoLite almost always has a 40% off coupon active, so it's hard to argue against their 3-season down quilt at $175 or so. The latest GoLite quilts have more down than the older ones and they are legit 20F bags for the 3 season variant and 40F for the 1 season.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools