Topic

Final Wind River trip route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Final Wind River trip route

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Seth Griffiths

@sgriffy

Locale: Front Range

I finally decided on this route for the Wind River range. We are planning on heading up the second week of August. Has anyone done this route before? Also, does anyone know the current snowpack conditions up there?

thanksElkhart Loop

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The real question is the snow on Knapsack.

I suspect it will have a formidable headwall to descend.
    How skilled are you on STEEP (80°) snow?

Call The Outdoors Shop in Pinedale. If anyone knows, they do.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

My group had planned a similar route for the same week, but we just switched destinations on account of snow/bugs. I was outvoted, so I'm jealous. One of the group's concerns was the Knapsack Col.

micheline wessler
    Spectator

@michelinejw

I'm planning to spend a couple weeks in the Wind River middle of August and am wondering if you have heard more about the snow. It is what it is…. It was like that coming down through Washington's PCT last June as well. The only thing I've found out so far is from the Pinedale Ranger Station, saying they've gotten reports of thigh deep snow, and the stream crossings are ok.

Eric Token

@etoken

but not crossing knapsack. will be with my daughter for her first experience in the winds. We'll see Titcomb and then head around to Stroud peak for fun. Good luck – extended weather forecast looks good for us.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

I did the knapsack col route last year – which was a low snow year – and was able to climb over talus up top and only cross a short stretch of low grade snow on the lower east side. It is steep at the top though and if it is snowed in, which it apparently is most of the time I would imagine it is crampon and ice axe teritory. I second the idea of checking with the Outdoor Shop, they are very helpful. That being said the Jean Lakes-Peak Lake-Knapsack-Titcomb area was definately one of my favorites. Have fun, I wish I were going again already.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools