Topic

Approaching 4lb barrier….need feedback on modded MLD Poncho Tarp Specifically

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Approaching 4lb barrier….need feedback on modded MLD Poncho Tarp Specifically

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Here is what I have moved to…

Hexamid with stakes/guy lines and carbon pole = 6.3 oz. I have decided to get rid of my trekking poles.

ZPacks Poncho/ground cloth = 4 oz with clips (becomes a bath tub).

Ephinay Cuben Quilt = 10.9 oz (2" loft).

I don't get the NE kind of rain, but Joe used this shelter on his CDT thru hike and sometimes his wife slept in it too. A head net is fine for me for bugs, but we don't get NE type of flying insects.

In the past I have used tarps, poncho/tarps, and a Wild Oasis. I think I am really going to like the Hexamid, but have yet had any rain to test it.

For snow I am going to stick with my Scarp 1 and I am not going to be even close to SUL, I need to be very warm and dry.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I don't get the NE kind of rain… think I am really going to like the Hexamid, but have yet had any rain to test it.

Last winter I did a test of one dozen different tents and tarps in my backyard. I had them all setup for 35 days 24/7 and it rained for 33 straight days.

(gotta love the redwood forest for rain testing gear!)

The ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp came in almost at the top of the 12 tarps/tents I had. Once you get that bad boy seam sealed it provides amazing protection from the rain.

One issue with the Hexamid is whether it provides enough protection for those who are 6'+ in height. The (what I call) "usable space" underneath was limited in regards to length when you really had to bring it down to the ground in heavy rain/hail situations. I have asked ZPacks about a future update to the Hexamid to add additional length, but as we can all understand that would require all new templates to be made – and that takes a lot of time, effort, and money.

Personally only one time have I had an issue when I was under my Hexamid and had rain issues. It was length issues, but as so many have said, that is what DWR on your bag is for, eh!

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Just ran across this thread. Have been pondering similarly. For a winter MYOG project, I'm going to convert my Hexamid solo tarp into a SMD Wild Oasis like shelter complete with netting around the perimeter and waterproof zipper. Plenty of bug protection for my needs and enough rain protection that I won't need a bivy. I'll use a cuben poncho for my groundcloth….a MYOG poncho if I can't find a good deal on used.

Modified Hexamid = ~7oz
    Cuben poncho = ~4oz

11oz total….likely slightly lighter with a MYOG poncho/croundcloth.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools