Topic

Maroon Bells off trail advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Maroon Bells off trail advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'll be wandering around the Bells late August and wanted to know about a couple off trail routes to prevent backtracking. Basically, I need to know if it's feasible to do these without any special equipment. I'm very agile and nimble and don't mind boulder hopping.

1. Pierre Lakes basin to Snowmass Lake via Heckert Pass. Would there still be significant snow in late Aug?

2. Rustler Gulch to Sylvanite Mine crossing S of Cassi Peak (13232).

I'm also curious if there are any 14ers you can summit without gear/helmet. It looks like Snowmass and Castle are the best bets, and since my pack will be much lighter by the time I get around to Castle I may go for it though I wasn't planning to go that far east. However, if I CAN get over Heckert, I'd be so close already to Snowmass so maybe I'd just empty out all my food before going for the ridgeline. Of course, if the weather isn't good, I won't bother with either one.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Nobody has gone those routes?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

@Michael — 1. Pierre Lakes basin to Snowmass Lake via Heckert Pass. Would there still be significant snow in late Aug?

I've read a trip report that features this route. I can't remember the URL, but I do remember that the 2 climbers that went over this pass felt it was not correctly located on the map they used.

30 seconds with Google, and here is the link to the trip report.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I had already found that one and another. Seems like it's easier with snow on it so you don't have to boulder hop, but I don't have any snow equipment. The few pics of seen of the other area near Cassi Peak leads me to think it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools