Topic

source for carbon fiber tubing for pole jack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear source for carbon fiber tubing for pole jack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

looking for something right at 0.5" id for a pole jack (probably 10" +/-), cheap(er) would be good :)

thanks in advance

Mike

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

Mike, I know Ti Goat has 0.45 and 0.6 diameter poles, not sure if that's internal or external diameter. Probably could just email and ask. And, they should be able to cut it to whatever length you need.
    -Josh

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Be sure a CF jack has reinforcement around the circumference of the insertion end.

A simple tube cut to length will be a risky bet unless it was wrapped to handle that stress.

I have brass tube that is now oval from supporting a DuoMid.

YMMV

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

Probably more than you wanted to pay but certainly bullet proof and light (I get 44 grams at 10" length).

Ti tube

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Greg- wouldn't have thought of that- thanks

Chris- that would be the bulletproof solution for sure, but definitely too spendy

Josh- I'll shoot tigoat a email and see if they can come up w/ something

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

DragonPlate seems to have some interesting products. Wouldn't it be neat if you could walk into Home Depot and buy those things over the counter?

–B.G.–

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Would be nice.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

My hobby shop brass tube, at 12×0.625, weighs 44 grams.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Must be substantially thinner walled since its density is 91% greater than that of titanium.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I "eyeballed" the wall at 1/32 +/-

And I can assure you it has been tested several times, and passed.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Hey man, don't get me wrong whatever gets the job done and is light I'm good with! As much as I love cuben, titanium, and carbon fiber not everything has to be high-tech to be good.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Nope. No contention here. Just sharing….
    All is well.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

A 0.625" Aluminum tube with .035" wall would be around 33 grams but is expensive here (2024 T3 is $14+/ft):
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=12799&step=4&showunits=inches&id=946&top_cat=60
    0.049" wall 6061 T6 is a lot cheaper $4,83.ft.
    much cheaper but in 6' lengths is available from http://texastowers.com/aluminum_.htm

If you can find an old TV antenna, you might be able to scavenge what you need.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Any thoughts on how it would hold up to the applied load? I'm betting they are wound with good hoop strength. I know folks are able to find these pretty cheaply though I've never looked myself.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just measured + weighed a piece of tubing from a swiffer sweeper handle at:

Weight = 1.3 oz (that includes a little plastic clip you would want to remove)
    Length = just under 12"
    Top ID = 5/8"
    Bottom ID = almost 3/4"

It is probably lower-grade aluminum but at this diameter + length it would take a lot of force to bend it. The top is slightly narrower to fit inside the wider bottom portion of another pole (like a tent pole).

Even if these specs don't quite match what you want, it might be worth going to a Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond and seeing if anything is the right diameter.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I might peruse my Ace Hardware- they sell aluminum tube (and brass) stock- I used some of the smaller stuff when I made my ul grill, think I remember seeing some larger stock

CF golf club shaft might work as well, don't think I'll have much luck sourcing one here though

looked on ebay @ CF it's kind of pricey and not sure of the quality/strength either

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that would have been great- the diameter is just about spot on, but about 1/2 the length- wonder if I could connect two possibly??????

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looks like Ace does have the K&S Engineering aluminum tubing in 1/2 (I used their small stock for my grill)

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(jnjjbq3o3e3phgu4cceyaiyw)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=5392527

$6.25 for 36"

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Mike

The .600(thats a rounded number) tube we use has a .500" ID. I have a neat trick for doing pole jacks in CF. Drop me an email, josh at titaniumgoat dot com. As long as it is shorter than ~11" we usually have some pieces we can do real cheap.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools