Topic

Help me Reach under 1.5 lb PPPPD at around 3000 cal.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Help me Reach under 1.5 lb PPPPD at around 3000 cal.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Alex Blondeau

@alex_blondeau

Just finishing up a batch of granola. Erik, you're right. This stuff is fantastic! :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

"there is nothing like organic raw coconut butter. OMG, that stuff is freaky good! (It is considerably different than coconut oil)"

Oooooh, that does sound good. I can just see it spread on a hot chapati or piece of toast. Where does one find it in Seattle?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

PCC and Whole Foods carry it…look for this brand (though there are others)
    http://www.artisanafoods.com/products/coconut-butter

Btw the company now makes single serving packets of their most popular stuff as well. Yum!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I too use fresh coconut a lot. I will often toast it lightly in a fry pan to enhance the flavor. I find sweetened coconut is just too cloyingly sweet.

I often will put a bit of coconut milk powder in my hot chocolate for a caloric boost on colder weather trips.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Btw the company now makes single serving packets of their most popular stuff as well."

Where can you buy them? The company doesn't seem to sell their products directly, and I didn't feel like going through every website that offers their products. Can you point me directly to a vendor who sells individual serving packets of coconut butter? That could really fit into my kind of menu.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Tom, I have been searching for them. I am hoping that I can get more leads in August when I attend the big Vegan Con in Portland, Oregon! There are going to be food vendors. (Yes, I am drooling….one of the big supporters is a coconut ice cream company. I may need to wear my stretchy buffet pants all weekend!)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, I have been searching for them. I am hoping that I can get more leads in August when I attend the big Vegan Con in Portland, Oregon!"

Good luck. Standing by…
    " I may need to wear my stretchy buffet pants all weekend!)"

Just make sure they don't have to cut you out of them when the weekend is done. ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hopefully they will just pop ;-)

We are getting said coconut ice cream in a sundae bar. Yeah, I am looking forward to that! It'll make up for all the weird hippy food the rest of the weekend ;-)

And after I can go hiking! Nothing like a waterfall hike up on the Columbia River! Yay!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Yeah, I am looking forward to that! It'll make up for all the weird hippy food the rest of the weekend ;-)"

If I were you, I'd keep a close eye on them hippies. Figure you've got about 5 minutes from the time they fire up the first doobie to get your share of the coconut ice cream. After that, all bets are off…. ;)

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

You likely have already considered this, but I have found that it's rather risky planning someone else's menu. Taste and preferences and even caloric needs are so subjective. Do they all like raisins? Is anyone allergic to peanuts? Any vegetarians? Dietary restrictions? Would they rather carry less weight or have more food? How much variety is enough variety? And so on.

With an individual shopping for a group someone will likely be thinking "That isn't what I would have brought." If everyone shops for themselves, it will be exactly what they would have brought!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

And Buck has that right – one reason why I nearly always only cook for me and my family. Everyone I know is special needs somehow ;-) And there is always one person who eats for 3 in the group!
    Better in some ways to have a meeting where everyone does their meals and gets them ready – you get the group support and it gets done quickly.

Alex Blondeau

@alex_blondeau

Well, I was finally able to do it. I could hit the 1.5 PPPPD @ 3000 cal (or just a bit under) if I tossed 1 Gatorade from the menu, but I'm not too concerned with that.

Here's the final result of my first attempt at this: http://draggerseats.com/random_images/food.xls

Thank you all for your very helpful input!

Tomorrow… we ship out to Glacier National Park! :D

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hope you have a great trip!

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools