Topic

Who Can Build Me a Custom Hammock?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Who Can Build Me a Custom Hammock?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    evan keller

@ekeller

I just got back from a 5 day hike in Mount of the Holy Cross Wilderness south of Vail, Colorado…slept in my ultralight-asym Hennessy and couldn't get comfortable to get much sleep (forgot to snag sleeping pills from a friend!).

Who builds custom hammocks? i want a hammock that lies flat like the Jacks-r-Better "Bridge" but a lot lighter and uses my trekking poles for the stabilizer bars. i'm only 5'6" and 155 pounds so don't need their mammoth model for 6'3", 250 pounders. i don't have the time or talent to make my own…who can i ask to build it for me?

thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would ask the same question at Hammockforums.net. There are a lot of ultralight folk there and it is the center of the hammock universe. Let me know– I would like to see what is available.

Karen Lewis

@karenlewis65

Even if I do end buying hammock, I am unable to put hammock properly. Its funny that I am even though good with setting up tents, but I am unable to set up a hammock.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Were you using a pad or an underquilt with the Hennessy?

What about it was uncomfortable?

I would like to figure out where the problem is before you start throwing money around to find a solution.

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Bit of background experience with sewing, and next week I'm going to start some hammock designs I've been working on the past couple days.

Got a simple 1.1 SL I'm gonna try making first, and if all goes well I'll progress to a single layer with bug net and pullouts (think warbonnet), then a double layer with bugnetting and then a down underquilt. Then who knows?!?!

If I find that I am good at this stuff (I'll know by the week of the 14th-ish) I will gladly contact you and make you one for just the cost of materials and shipping (labor cost are dumb, if I do it, it's because I want to)

I'll let you know, keep looking, but keep me in mind because you'd be looking at a -50 dollar hammock (if I don't completely suck).

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Also I don't currently use poles, but would they support you as poles in a bridge hammock setup? Wouldn't want them snapping on you in the field.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

You might start with an old style Army Jungle Hammock. I also like to lay flat and can do that with one of these. I have two and modified both of them to bring the weight down from 55 ounces to 20.5 ounces. No sewing, just cutting and ripping a few seam lines.

Modified Army Jungle Hammock

Donald Krug

@hykn

Locale: Northern, Kentucky

Hiking poles can work as spreader bars. But be careful – you need to construct things correctly. The stress has to run along the poles so as not to bend them. You also need to be careful to construct the support triangle with sides long enough that they don't put undue stress on the spreader bars.

Details can be found @ hammockforums.

Don

PS I've built a couple. Let me know if I can help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools