Topic

Yosemite – 6 Nights (Late August/Early Sepember)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Yosemite – 6 Nights (Late August/Early Sepember)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Will Shewell

@wshewell

Locale: South East USA

I'm doing Yosemite in late August or early September, most likely September. I've never been and feel I have all needed gear, may buy a new warmer bag. I am getting way excited!

Any suggestions on trails, backcountry camping spots, bear cans, gear, etc?

Will

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Buy a copy of the book, Trekking California (by Paul Richins) and do hike #8, the Northern Yosemite Loop that goes to Benson Lake.

This loop starts outside Yosemite, in the Hoover Wilderness, at Twin Lakes. From there you cross over into Yosemite, looping through Peeler Lake, to Benson Lake, up Matterhorn Canyon, and back to your trailhead via Crown Lake.

It's only ~44 miles, but you make it longer by doing day-trips and peak-bagging to Volunteer Peak, Rogers Lake/Pettit Peak, and Matterhorn Peak. Benson Lake is worth a half-day layover, too.

Otherwise, my frank opinion is not to backpack in Yosemite. Yosemite is great for seeing the waterfalls in Yosemite Valley. Otherwise, Yosemite backcountry, to most of us, is actually less interesting/dramatic than the High Sierra further south. You could look into places like Kings Canyon National Park, or eastside trailheads near the towns of Mammoth, Bishop, Lone Pine, etc.

– Elizabeth

Will Shewell

@wshewell

Thanks for the tips. I have decided to not backpack Yosemite and am going elsewhere. The system of require permits, limits per trail, first come first serve, general difficult Yosemite visitor system is simply too complex. I think visitors would have to spend more time studying the NPS Yosemite website and planning the trip that time actually spent backpacking in the park itself. Just sayin…

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

just sayin.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

And besides, if Will followed the earlier advice, he would not have to deal with the Yosemite permit system at all. The starting point is Twin Lakes, so the Bridgeport Ranger Station would be the place.

–B.G.–

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Correct – One great thing about this Benson Lake loop is that you do not, in fact, deal with Yosemite bureaucracy at all, since the entry point is outside Yosemite. Call the Hoover Wilderness/Bridgeport Ranger Station and get your permit from the nice people there. This is an easy trip to set up! And you can drive through Yosemite and see the valley/falls and Tuolumne Meadows on your way.

Carl Becker

@carlhbecker

Some advanced planning doesn't hurt. My family and I will be there late Aug. I am spending a 2nd week to hike in the NE corner. I understand Benson can be populated but is a nice circuit. I will be doing out and back but would have preferred a shuttle with Twin Lakes one end.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

There is at least one good thing about Yosemite, the furniture!

furniture

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

And another thing that is good about Yosemite: the ROOM SERVICE!

rooms service

Will Shewell

@wshewell

Great pics! Always loving a comfy Neo-Air!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools