Topic

Lavish(TM) Chocolate Oatmeal?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Lavish(TM) Chocolate Oatmeal?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

I was wondering if anyone has used this kind of oatmeal as a base to make trail bars. I figure you could add some nuts/raisins etc. put it all in a pan and bake it. Anyone ever try this?

Al

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Oatmeal is oatmeal.

–B.G.–

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

There are several high quality oatmeals that I enjoy. The differences between the run of the mill (think Quaker cylinder) and quality oatmeals are discernable even just by sight. When I have some good oatmeal at work, folks ask what I'm eating. The oatmeal has texture and body. I enjoy having oatmeal with texture and more mouth appeal rather than the mush of a cheap oatmeal. The aroma of even the plain good oatmeal is wonderful, and the flavor is distintly better. Certainly use a good oatmeal for bars, but also don't forget to make some oatmeal cookies as well. A really satisfying breakfast is pancakes made with oatmeal instead of flour; the meal sticks with you well, and is fun to eat.
    Jim

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

care to name names :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Don't get confused by the basic nature of the oatmeal. In the north of England, you are likely to encounter steel-cut oats. In the U.S., you are likely to encounter rolled oats.

–B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Trader Joe's (tastes better and you get more per packet than Quaker)

Will Webster

@willweb

Sorry, good instant oatmeal is an oxymoron. I can wait a few minutes while my regular rolled oats (supplemented with freeze dried fruit plus a shot of flax seed meal, and maybe some Nido) FBCs. Gives me time to drink my coffee so I don't have to eat it out of the bag. No comparison to steel cut oats but a decent compromise for the trail.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

One of my favorite brands is Flaherty. They make a variety of plain and flavored oat products. I especially enjoy the dry fruit in their products; it tastes better than most separately sold dry fruit. Reading the cooking directions is also fun as they instruct you about the hob. McCann's has a variety of rolled and steel-cut oat products that are quite tasty. They do sell some instant oatmeal, but I've not tried it. The non-instant types only take a few minutes to prepare. The aroma from the McCann's oats fills the kitchen nicely. Bob's Red Mill has a variety of oat products, both rolled and steel-cut. I like the flavor of Bob's products most of the time, but have been disappointed several times by a stale product. I don't think their packaging is as good as it could be. I like Honeyville farms products in general; if you want a good source of relatively low-priced product give them a try. They have periodic 10 or 20% off sales. They also have a lot of other foods for gourmet backpacking, in my opinion. I enjoy both rolled and steel-cut oat products; good quality food can be prepared from either.
    Jim

Tim & Shell

@mccargoe

How does this stuff even taste in the first place? I just bought a box for our upcoming trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools