Topic

militaryclothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear militaryclothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

FWIW the GI issue wool glove liners make for incredibly cheap and durable wool gloves. Since I'm active duty I can get them at Clothing Sales for <$2/pair, but I don't see prices listed on this website. But any Army/Navy store or website will sell them: Brigade Quartermasters, U.S. Cavalry, Ranger Joe's, etc.

Other milspec items that might interest ULers but which aren't on this Rothco website include the modern very thin polypro watchcaps, the waffle-pattern thermal underwear (especially since the shirt has thumb loops in the sleeves), and Chlor-Floc water treatment tablets (which can generally be found for half the price of AquaMira tablets).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

spam

Michael Duda
    BPL Member

@plurpimpin

definitely spam

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

yep.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Spam?
    Well, maybe. But I agree about the wool gloves. Love 'em. And I'm interested in the water purification tabs, since I use micropur and that's expensive. If I can find a cheaper, just-as-good alternative, I'm grateful.
    Another cheap, light military article I love is our M-65 jacket liners. 10 oz for a CLO of 1.02 (The MB Polartec 200 Thermawrap Parka is only .77)that dries real fast and compresses well for only $6.98.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Yep, spam

I brought it just last weekend. Multiple use, dog AND people food.Spam Wolf

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Spam ?
    For $2 ex-military gloves ?
    Did Dean buy all the surplus and then sold it back to the various retailers?
    Dean has 2600 plus posts here…and not about gloves.
    BTW, there is nothing wrong in saying sorry.
    Franco

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I thought this was all tongue in cheek. Hence the spam wolf.

I really do like the insulated pants liners too.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Spam, the most talked about real-food substitute on the Net.
    Tastes like chicken.
    You can open the can wearing gloves.
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

David, check to see if your email is getting through.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

NM

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

There was one more message at the top of this string a few days ago that was removed by the watchful eye. The first post you see must not have realized it was spam on day one. On to the next topic…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Now I remember…
    I just fried for lunch a couple of poached eggs and that restored the functions of some of my brain cells.
    Franco

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

2600 posts ?!? Christ, I need to get out more…

But, yes, there was a post before mine that I was replying to. Evidently it got past my spam filter.

But I had forgotten about the M-65 field jacket liners- also decent, cheap surplus gear.

And, yes, you can find Chlor-Floc cheap. Just google it- I found it at $7.50 for 30 tablets, whereas AquaMaira tablets are usually pushing $20 for 24 tablets. Some distributor on Amazon has it on sale, too.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I'm a big fan of the surplus wool gloves as well. I use them the entire year. When ski touring, those gloves and a shell are all I usually need in the CO winter.

Though I don't use them for backpacking, the liner pants do come in handy for early mornings in my 'truck bivy' camps before I start the actual backpacking trip (thrown them on, make breakfast, slip them off and I am already to go in my hiking shorts)and I do use them for car camping trips when I am, well, hanging out in camp. :)

I also use surplus wool pants for ski touring. I find wool pants to be the original soft shell: warm, breathable, and repels snow. And they are cheap! (Not exactly light..but ski touring is a different ball o' wax…or is that stick of wax? :) )

The last item I use is mil-spec polypro balaclava bought years ago at Sierra Trading post. It is also an item I use all year: Roll it up for a light hat, makes a nice neck warmer or ear warmer and we it down for all around protection.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

" I find wool pants to be the original soft shell: warm, breathable, and repels snow." +1

My local army surplus store has piles of wool pants from various military sources. Really nice wool and most of them are very well made. The German six pocket trousers are deluxe. The larger sizes can be scarce but there's usually a good selection for regular people. Bargains can be had as long as you don't mind looking a bit like a Czechoslovakian infantrymen. Personally, as long as I'm warm I don't mind. Good stuff for cooler weather.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools