Topic

MYOG Summer Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Summer Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI

Don't post a ton here, tend to be a lurker, but I just finished my new summer quilt and thought I would show it off a bit.
    Momentum90 fabric
    7oz of 800 down
    74×52 at the head
    drawstring footbox and buttons
    total is 14oz
    This is for both hammock and the occasional ground time.
    Thanks for looking

P1000157 w

P1000160 w

P1000159 w

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Nice. Looks pretty warm though. But it's 9pm here, and 96 degrees, so I may think of a summer quilt differently.

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

I am up in the UP of Michigan pretty often and night times close to lake superior can get pretty chilly. A lot of 50 degree nights.

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Locale: Western NC Mountains

That looks great! The sewing looks really good from the photos.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Kevin, Nice job with the quilt. It looks like you used buttons to close the footbox. Do I see that correct? Seems like a good alternative to velcro, zipper, and snaps. Do you like how the footbox closes?

Jamie

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

–But it's 9pm here, and 96 degrees, so I may think of a summer quilt differently.–

+1. For me a summer quilt is a cotton sheet!

It looks great though! I love the quilt I made, its my favorite piece of gear. I'm sure you'll enjoy using it (and showing it off!). Buttons were a good idea, I used velcro and it sometimes sticks to my socks/bottoms and it can be a pain. Might I suggest adding one at the top to keep it around your shoulders? I did that on mine and it helps it seal around me a lot better and keep out drafts. It won't make any difference on a hammock but on the ground I find it to make a huge difference.

Adam

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Thanks guys.
    In my previous quilt, I used snaps. They work fine, but since I don't really move when I sleep(freaks the wife out sometimes) I figured buttons would be lighter. I have plans on adding some grosgrain tabs to close it up for ground use depending on when that happens. Closes up just like I wanted it to. Really happy how it worked out.

whitenoise .
    BPL Member

@whitenoise

Looks great Kevin. How much did the total project cost, how long did it take to cosntruct, and where did you buy your Momentum fabric?

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

materials and down around $80. Got the M90 from Thru-Hiker, got the 800 fill from a friend. Took about 3 days (6 hrs) total. Though not my first quilt though. Used last week and it worked great. really like it.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools