Topic

When will this Snow Melt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion When will this Snow Melt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

The snow this year on the PCT is not going away. I was going to do a SOBO PCT but we still have unheard of amounts of snow up here in Washington. So I've decided to take the bus to Ashland Oregon and head north instead. That'll cover both Oregon and Washington. I just read one NOBO'ers report on postholer where the hiker got a couple days beyond Ashland and stopped… and went home….too much snow. That was July 15th. Another did the same on July 7.

When will the snow go away in southern Oregon for thru-hikers?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have no idea but I want summer dangit!!!!!!!!

Will Webster

@willweb

It's 100F here today with high humidity; be careful what you wish for.

T kawa

@kitsune

I'd rather have a little snow that a bunch of heat! Though the snow on one of my day hikes 3 weeks ago, burnt the crap out my legs and face (reflected off the snow under my hat!),so i guess I just can't win. still the snow is nice to cool your feet =)

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Sarah…look out your window now. This is why we live in Seattle. Today is a great day. We just needed it about a month ago.

I just want a little sun to get rid of the snow. I'm not asking for those 100 F days that half the country is getting.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It's just starting to cool down to 99 degrees after a month of highs in the 100's and all the wildfires; some national forests are staring to reopen after the huge Wallow Fire and smaller ones. May need to break out the down vest…

If snow is an issue, just come to where there isn't any.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Waa waa waa. No rain here since October. Several cities rationing water; illegal to wash a car. Several lakes predicted to be bone dry by early 2012, leaving tens of thousands of people with no water supply, unless something changes drastically.

Jim York

@jimbawb

Was at Willamette Pass 5 miles from the PCT last weekend (started at 5,000 feet, got to 6500+ feet) patchy snow from 5500 to 6000, solid 3+ feet of snow above 6000. I'm hoping we melt out by mid-August at this rate…

Edit: re-checked topo…solid snow was closer to 5500-ish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools