Topic

West Coast Trail and Hiking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion West Coast Trail and Hiking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Megan S.

@megslegs

Hi all,

I am about to do the West Coast Trail. Not exactly "ultra"light style, but more lightweight compared to when I first did it 18 years ago. We are going to take it about two days slower than our last trip, too. Another change may be to bring poles. I have always hiked with a staff – a tree branch that I find on the trail, to help balance on logs and stuff like that. In Newfoundland a couple of years ago, we shared a set of poles for that reason. But I have been encouraged to try a pair. I cannot for the life of me imagine hiking with both hands in poles, but am wondering if there is a reason to deviate on this particular trail?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jozef _____

@derjosef

Locale: The southern border of Holland

I did the WCT some 12 years ago without poles. I was perfectly fine. At the time I never had used them, and I was sure that I never would. A buddy slipped on one of the boardwalks but that was it. I don't think poles would've helped much on those slippery surfaces. I suppose you would be better off with a (long) staff on those.

A couple of years later I started using them, and have never left them at home since.

It takes some getting used to, especially downhill, to effectively use them. When you're walking the WCT you probably pack a bit heavier. There are some calculations out there that show you how much weight you take off your knees each step and accumulative on the whole trip, when using poles (the right way).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools