Topic

planning to make a tarp (back to SilNylon)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear planning to make a tarp (back to SilNylon)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

Locale: PNW

I couldn't find any cuben fiber on eBay, but I did find SilNylon for under $8/yard. So I got 4 yards of it, it's 65" wide, and I'm going to make a simple 8×5 tarp mainly for use as a "vestibule" on our BD Lighthouse. Since this is my first time doing anything like this, I tried to get a feel for what the finished tarp would look like, and I was all like WOW THAT'S BIG.

silnylon

It was heat cut but I suppose I'll need to make seams and tie-outs anyway. My boyfriend's mother has a 20-year-old sewing machine that I'll brush up on before attacking this, at any rate, and then I'll probably use the rest to make a daypack. I still can't believe how thin and light it is.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Uh oh – don't get addicted to doing MYOG stuff

There are a few articles on BPL under MYOG that might offer a few hints how to do it

patrick agius

@streamline

Check out D.I.Y Gear Supply. http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=19
    They have a great price on sil for seconds. I got my order in last week and it is great stuff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools