Topic

New 2012 Hilleberg models

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New 2012 Hilleberg models

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Arthur, consider this: All Hilleberg tents are designed for northern Sweden. Northern Sweden and Iceland have very similar weather. You should therefore have no worries with the Rogen unless you were going in winter.

David Ure

@familyguy

The only issue I have with the 3 season offerings is not providing fly vents like they have on their 4 season offerings.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

That is rather strange, isn't it? I have the 1999 Akto which was pre-door hood. Jon Solomon, who also had the same Akto, was the first person to make his own door hood and suggested it to Hilleberg. Hilleberg listened and with their next update included the hood on the newer model. So why they wouldn't include the vents on the 2012 models is confusing. Even the Soulo has a vent built in.

(just as a side note, the 1999 Akto and earlier use the 1800 weight Kerlon fabric… the 1200 fabric didn't exist yet… so it is a substantially stronger… and heavier tent)

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

I don't see why $570 for a two-person 3-season tent from this company would be a stretch. Any Hilleberg offers some characteristics that aren't found on most tents. A very strong pole/fly/tent body unison is one element and translates into very quick pitching for the whole tent. It is hard to know how well the ventilation works on the new Anjan tunnel tents without the tent being in consumers' hands but they didn't just take venting away, they added some too. I'm not as sure on the pricing of the Rogen. At $790 it needs to be all that the Allak is but lighter. The Rogen might be a little harder to set up than the Allak and Staika, again hard to tell at this point. That said, some people will be willing to pay for this tent because it offers a very unique storm worthy experience at less than 5 pounds. It's a tent that two people can sit up in. It has two large vestibules like the its siblings and opens up nicely on each side. I'm not sure there is anything other tent at this weight that combines these attributes with the pole/fly/tent body strength that the Rogen likely has.

David Ure

@familyguy

I had no idea the Akto was originally made out of 1800. What does your version weight? Curious.

One interesting note about the new fabrics: I was looking over the 2012 Hilleberg Catalogue (drooling more like it) and noticed that the new 1000 Kerlon has a HH of 2000mm and the floor they are using for the inner tent has a HH of 3000mm. I believe 2000mm is similar to some of the new silnylon fabrics being used by the cottage manufacturers. Could be wrong, however. No real point here; just an observation.

I suspect with the new fabrics and minor design details we could see an Akto close to 2lbs in minimum weight.

Ron W

@miles2go

With K1000 in their hands, yeah, I could certainly see them bringing this to some of the solo tents, is that written anywhere?

As I remember, the Akto was produced "back in the day" with K1800 because that's all Hilleberg had at the time. The tent probably didn't make sense in that material when K1200 was introduced.

The Soulo is the one I'd like to see in K1000, if you're listening Hilleberg. :)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

There's not a huge weight difference between Kerlon 1800 and 1200 for a tent as small as the Akto. The greater weight savings likely come from a thinner pole, a less heavy-duty zipper, and lighter stakes.

+1 on a Kerlon 1000 version of the Soulo. Love the footprint and stability, but for three season use it weighs too much and doesn't look like it vents well. Mine has only been out in the winter so far.

Ron W

@miles2go

I've heard different stories from different owners of the Soulo. I'm surprised if it wouldn't vent as well as any one-door two-walled tent in the same circumstances, with the roof venting. I've kept our Staika buttoned up pretty good in some less than ideal conditions but almost always leave a door zipped open from the ground about 3-5 inches to allow pass-through ventilation. Everything will gather some condensation in the right situation but this has never been a real issue (never any water coming off the fly into the tent body) with our Hillebergs. I have no experience with the Soulo however.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Arthur,

Personally I'd take my Unna to Iceland or anywhere else where extreme, or almost-extreme, conditions, are regular occurrences. At just over four pounds I don't consider it heavy, and it's really stout. But I'll take peace of mind and a bit of extra room over saving a few ounces as a general rule. Has Peter Vacco chimed in on this forum? I bought his Unna after his two Northwest Territories trips and he praises the Unna extravagantly.

Cheers, Richard

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Do these people realize that my last car, which slept 3, required no set up, was completely waterproof and windproof and had unlimited venting options (and lasted me for over 200,000 miles) cost me $100 more than their $700 tent?

Arthur Van Damme

@tuur009

Richard

I think I am a bit like you and worry a lot when on a hike, especialy about the weather :-) I know its a bit strange for a hiker who wants to be in- and enjoy nature, but who's constantly worried about the weather, but that just how I am I guess…

Now, I'm still in doubt regarding the choice Unna, Soulo or Rogen. As my iceland hike is only in july I will have the opportunity to await some reviews of the Rogen. I will decide then I guess.

I understand your choice for the 4-season Unna that can handle almost every weather-type, but as I am a young guy and not working for a very long time I have only litlle savings that should be spend wisely (especialy at those Hilleberg-prices :-) ) I've never done a solo hike (and nor will I in Iceland, but I go with 2 friends who will share a tent) and I'm not so sure if I will do it a lot in the future.

That's probably my biggest concern if I should buy a solo-tent, namely that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the price.

I'll probably buy a 2-person tent I guess. The Allak looks perfectly but is very heavy when I have to carry it alone (3,1 kg). The Rogen looks like the ideal compromise, not to heavy to carry alone (2,1 kg), and I can also use when with 2.

Doubts, doubts, doubts :-)

PS: I want to thank everybody for your numerous and well-founded replies! I'm very glad I found this forum today! You've already helped me a lot!

Ron W

@miles2go

What does your car have to do with this thread? Go car camping here: 67.928753 -146.031075 Let us know how that one works. :)

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Arthur,

I haven't used one, but the Hilleberg Kaitum line has been highly praised for four-season use. 2- and 3-man models, tunnel tents so likely a bit stronger, and now available with the GT vestibule, which really helps on a long trip. You're right, Hilleberg is pricey (higher in Europe than the US) but whichever one you select you will get good value.

Keep us posted. Richard

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I have a Kaitum 3. It's the widest three person tent that Hilleberg makes, in terms of interior space – it can handle three adults without feeling cozy. Vertical inner tent doors also contribute to a palatial feeling. Ventilation options are excellent with the two vestibules. The Kaitum 2 is lighter than the Allak (2.9kg vs 3.1kg). If you're comfortable with a non-freestanding tent, the only downside is the footprint – at 4m 30cm long you need a large space to pitch the Kaitum.

Arthur Van Damme

@tuur009

Hi Guys, it's me again.

I'm back with another post because I received a second answer to my question (see earlier posts) from Hilleberg! And this second answer is actually a bit different from the first, so I thought I'd share it with all of you. I got this second answer because I sended a message to Hilleberg on facebook but did not receive an answer. Therefore I sended an e-mail to Hilleberg-customers service like Richard proposed and I got a first answer that I have already posted here on tuesday. Today I finaly received an answer on my facebook message, which is – like I've said – a bit different than the first answer.

Greetings to you all!

Hilleberg answer on my question regarding the new Rogen tent being able to withstand Iceland's summer weather conditions:

Dear Arthur,
    So sorry for our late response, we didn't see the message until now!
    Since the outertent doesn't go all the way to the ground and the fact that you have mesh on the door of the innertent the ventilation is better which leads to less condensation, but also more wind inside the tent which can have a cooling effect. But if you have a sleeping bag that works well down to the colder degrees it would be a good thing to have with you. We make our three season tents based on Swedish three season conditions, but the comfort also depends on the other equipment you bring.
    The Soulo is a sturdy and stable tent which would probably suit you better if you know that you will be camping in harsh conditions with heavy wind. If you are looking for a two person dome tent we can recommend the Allak for you which is the four season version of Rogen.
    Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
    Hilleberg team

Ron W

@miles2go

The Rogen looks like it will be a fantastic addition to the Hilleberg line of top rate tents.

I was seriously considering buying it and through my connections was able to review the pitching instructions. The setup looks fast, much like Hille tunnel tents or the Unna, with the addition of a short brow-pole.

A cool thing about the tent is that both wings on each vestibule can be rolled back and that flexibility will let you catch or somewhat block a breeze regardless of where it's blowing from. It is also quick to switch from one entry angle to the other using a "toggle" at the staking point for the vestibule.

I'd only be worried about the more airy nature of the Rogen if you are used to only tenting in more confined 4 season tents. Like most if not all Hillebergs, the doors have both a high ventilation no-see-um layer as well as the heavier yellow material layer. You can also lean this tent into the wind, staking the vestibule taking the wind right to or very close to the ground.

A Soulo vs. Rogen choice for me would come down to mainly my needs in size. The Rogen is light enough to carry going solo if you want this level of space and protection. That makes it a pretty versatile 3-season tent that can likely take heavy use, like all Hillebergs.

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

I got my Rogen last month and have used it for one overnighter and already it is my favorite tent! I will try it out again tonight.

PS: Happy independence day!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Oh how cool Ole. Will be expecting some pictures now.

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Below are three (poor) pictures a took of my Rogen on an overnighter last week.

Hilleberg Rogen

Hilleberg Rogen

Hilleberg Rogen

David Ure

@familyguy

Why did you delete the pictures?

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

any comment on this Rogen vs Big Sky Rev 2P

I do own a Big Sky Rev 2p but the inter tent is a full mesh!
    i do think the quality cannot be compare, just like to discuss the design aspect as both tent do look similar!

and price are close too

Cheers
    Jason

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

David: I have undeleted them now!

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks!

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools