Topic

New 2012 Hilleberg models

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New 2012 Hilleberg models

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Since the original poster isn't complaining about thread hijack

The government should spend less than they make during good times, like most of 2000 to 2008

In a recession, some debt makes since, like have you noticed that in the latest job reports there is an increase in private jobs but it's almost cancelled by a loss of public jobs? Those were the jobs paid for by the stimulus which is now running out. Those public employees will now have no income, so they spend less, which hurts the economy.

Sorry, can't fit into one line : (

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Sorry, can't fit into one line : ("

Economy hurting? Spend government dough! J.M. Keynes told us so!

One line. Easy.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

But everyone forgets the second half of his position was governments should save when times are good.

Overspending in boom times instead of repaying debt taken on in recessions is much more of an issue than spending to dull the effects of a reccession.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

""Sorry, can't fit into one line : ("

Economy hurting? Spend government dough! J.M. Keynes told us so!

One line. Easy."

I count three lines

Mine is four lines

Oops – make that five lines

Ohhh – nevermind….

David Ure

@familyguy

"1.61803399"

George, you are Golden (wink). I have a Fibonacci tatoo.

Bill Heiser

@bheiser1

I wouldn't say they are "drunk", for the reasons explained by others. But unfortunately these prices are out of reach for many of us. :| I'm not saying it's not worth it, just saying that the typical backpacker can't spend $790 for a tent. For most of us, that kind of price range is what we envision for gear to be used on an alpine expedition, not regular 3/4 season backpacking.

But, then, apparently Hillebergs are the Mercedes of tents… and most of us can't afford Mercedes either…

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

If more of us were into red wine, more of us would suffer from gout…

Johan Engberg

@luffarjohan

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime

My Hilleberg tent (Jannu), was bought a couople of years ago in the states and delivered to me by my american brother in law.
    But, for the price I would have payed if I bought it here, I also could have afforded a flight ticket to the states and back. I other words, it's the same cost to manufacture a tent here, ship it to the states and the ship it back than to just buy it off the factory floor. Makes sense.

Where do I live? Sweden
    Where is my tent produced? Latvia (for those who don't know is just around the corner and also a member of the EU-union = no toll)
    Retail price in Sweden for a Jannu (2012): $ 1092
    So from my point of view, you're all spoiled by extreme retail prices. :)

David Ure

@familyguy

I agree that Hillebergs should be on anyone's list for an expedition ready, 4 season shelter.

But their 3 season shelters are going to 'miss' in North America. Far too expensive when there are lighter, cheaper, high performance 3 season tents from other manufacturers. There is no real benefit of a 3 season Hilleberg tent over other 3 season tent makers. It may be perceived through brand value but it really doesn't exist.

4 Season, yes.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Johan
    Your tent is made in Estonia.
    Where is Estonia ?
    Next door to Latvia.
    A long way from China but no so far from Finland.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNr3nK_bvKQ
    Franco

Johan Engberg

@luffarjohan

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime

Estonia it is of course, I stand corrected. It doesn't change my point though since Estonia is even closer.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

We have the same "problem" here in Australia.
    People want US prices but Australian wages and conditions…
    Franco

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I saw these at the last Outdoor Retailer show, they look much like the older models but have a lighter weight Kerlon. As for value, my Hilleberg tent was one of the smartest purchases I've ever made. After five years and two Arctic expeditions (by Peter, from whom I bought it) it's functionally as good as new.

Looks like Hilleberg is doing some hedging itself. The European website used to have list prices in Euros, now it's in Swedish kroner. Need not be an economist to figure that one out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Far too expensive when there are lighter, cheaper, high performance 3 season tents from other manufacturers.

A couple of comments:
    * Those who have Hilleberg tents don't seem to think they are all that expensive.
    * Corresponding NZ Macpac tents are about the same price, and they also sell quite well.
    * Perhaps you would care to name other brands which are of comparable quality for extreme mountain weather?

Yes, there are many other brands of so-called 4-season tents. I know most of them. Imho most of them are really designed for sheltered locations in mild weather. Oh sure, their marketing spin may claim otherwise, but that's to be expected.

When the brown ring starts going past at 100+ kph, then you find out the difference between a genuine mountain tent and a cheap mass-market tent.

Cheers

Paul Hope

@paulhope

"Yes, there are many other brands of so-called 4-season tents. I know most of them. Imho most of them are really designed for sheltered locations in mild weather. Oh sure, their marketing spin may claim otherwise, but that's to be expected".

"When the brown ring starts going past at 100+ kph, then you find out the difference between a genuine mountain tent and a cheap mass-market tent."

I agree Roger. I would never dream of taking a Scarp or a Moment for example in the true "all-season" conditions that they are supposed to be designed for; like you said, they are more suited for the milder winter conditions and moderate snow/winds.

I also don't own a Hilleberg tent, but when my old Wild Country Quasar finally dies or is ready to be handed down (whichever comes first) then the Keron & Kaitum tents are going to be the first ones that I look at. Personally, there is no price too high for a tent that can handle the extremes and will last 10-20 years; which is what these high quality tents are built to do.

I guess it all comes down to what you really use the tents for. If you sit at home, watch the weather reports and only venture out on the blue-bird winter days with zero chance of precip and low winds then $800 for such a tent is going to be a waste of money; for those who truly need a 4-season tent, then it will be money well spent.

David Ure

@familyguy

Tsk Tsk Roger – you cherry picked my post.

I said that they are at the top for expedition, 4 season shelters. This thread I started was for their 3 season shelters (not extreme mountain weather that you mention) due out in 2012 which NO ONE actually owns yet.

Having had an Akto and Nammatj 2, I was most impressed with their 4 season capability. But $750 for a two person 3 season shelter is simply MENTAL.

Other mountain tents? Sure – Integral Designs, RAB, Nemo Tenshi, Exped, etc.

Craig Rowland
    BPL Member

@craigr

Locale: Pacific NW

I have spent more money combined on lesser tents over the years that have had problems. I wish I had just skipped the intermediary steps and bought the Hillebergs from the get-go. It would have saved me money.

The three season models looks significantly lighter and will likely perform as well as other four season models in most conditions. Are they worth the money? Depends on what kind of camping you do. I live in the Pacific NW and I am very happy I have a Hilleberg for all year round camping. The weather is very wet and nasty half the year and it's nice knowing my tent won't let me down when I need it to keep me warm and dry. The three season option is definitely something I'd consider if l know I'm going into wet, but maybe not above tree-line conditions and I wanted to save the weight.

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

Hilleberg tents are pretty amazing, and you really are paying for a handmade, well thought out piece of "art" if you will…IMO

You are paying for design, durability, and functionality, it is not just a materials-used conversation. Anyone can buy a canvas and some paint, but it is what an artist does with the canvas that determines the value of the piece.

David – all the tents you just named as alternatives are made in China, and obviously the reason they are less expensive. I do everything I can to not buy from China. All of the tents out there have very good features, but to me lack "soul" or "character" :) (I do love my new LH SoLong, but heck that wasn't cheap either…)

There is always going to be Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Land Rover lovers and there are always going to be Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy lovers… the comparison of a Hilleberg tent compared to any other tents on the market are very similar.

I personally am all over the new 2012 Hillebergs, and can't wait to check them out.

Arthur Van Damme

@tuur009

Hi guys

My first post on this very interesting forum I have to say. I live in Belgium and my native language is dutch so sorry for my not-so-good-english.

To the point now! I'm looking around for a new tent and quickly decided to go for a Hilleberg. I've tried another brand before and I did'nt feel to comformtable in it so now I go straight for certainty and quality. I'm the guy that can relax more on a hiking trip when I know I have a tent that can cope with everything, so i very willing to pay extra for extra comfort (physically en mentally)

So I was mainly looking for a Unna or a Soulo, a choice that was not so easy for me to make. But then came the Rogen and I thought that my doubting was over. For the same weight of the Unna and the Soulo I could get a real quality 2-person tent. As I don't travel in winter (no snow loads for me) the Rogen looked like the ideal solution for me.

However, this summer I go hiking in Iceland which is known for its harsch weather conditions. Even in the summer the wind can be very nasty and rain can fall out of the sky like in no other country. When I was Iceland two years ago we even had some snow fall in August (we had a 4-season quality Lightwave tent back then).

QUESTION: like I've said before I can stress out a lot when I have doubts about my tent being able to cope with the weather, so for me it is really important that I can trust my tent and my sleeping bag. Like I've said for me this is important to be able to really enjoy the hike.

However, considering the weather conditions in Iceland, I was wondering if the Rogen will really be able to stand up against it in a worst-case scenario. Because the outer tent doesn't go completely to the ground I'am especially worried that the tent will cool off quite a bit when there is a nasty wind. I'm also a bit worried for strong side rain (I know Hilleberg has heightened the bathtub-floor of the inner for this, but I'm still not to convinced).

Any further thoughts about this from you guys?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Arthur,

If I were you I'd ask Hilleberg. Another advantage of this great company is that it's small and very customer-friendly — and honest. You'll get a prompt and straightforward reply if you send your post to Hilleberg's customer service.

Richard

Arthur Van Damme

@tuur009

That's good advice Richard. I will certainly do that!

But don't let this stop you of sharing your personal thoughts :-)

Steve Hayford

@cyclesafe

120 nights in my Allak. Still looks new; zippers still zip, elastic still taunt, seams still seamed etc. Still the envy of my friends. IMHO, worth the money and worth the incremental weight…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

The Anjan and Rogen aren't officially released yet through Hilleberg USA – the first shipments are scheduled for May. Early review models might be out there, but I haven't seen anything published at this time. I would expect the reviews to coincide with product availability. What that means is that although Hilleberg have no doubt stress-tested the three season tents, the rest of us would be speculating on their suitability for challenging conditions such as those you describe in Iceland.

If you contact Hilleberg please do share their feedback with us here.

Arthur Van Damme

@tuur009

I sended an e-mail straight away with my concerns and received the following answer just ten minutes later:

Hi,

I see no reason to worry about the tent being too cold. This is the type of ventilation you find on many well used constructions, even recommended for harsh winter conditions (such as The North Face VE 25)

I´m quite sure the Rogen will be a good choice for summer Iceland.

Mvh / Regards
    Hilleberg

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools