Topic

Favorite piece of gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite piece of gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

My Gossamer Gear Lightrek 3 poles. They never slip because there are no joints, they're as light and simple as can be and just fun to use. It's always a joy to get them out of the car!

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

My favorite piece of gear is my MLD 2010 Super Exodus. I got it for my birthday about a year ago, and use for everything; in town, backpacking, climbing. I love the look of the Dyneema X.

a b

@ice-axe

My true favorite is my Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter.
    This is the finest shelter I have ever used. It has all the advantages of my old school Chouinard Pyramid tarp at a fraction (like 1/12th) of the weight. Kept me safe and dry for 95 nights through a record setting wet year on the AT. Sets up on any terrain quickly and easily. It IS da Bomb!
    A close second is my Mountain Laurel Designs Spirit Quilt.
    This is the first synthetic sleeping gear i have had since polarguard came out.
    It is also my first quilt.
    Climashield proved to be superb even when wet. Dried quickly by bodyheat alone. After 95 compressions and de-compressions it looks like brand new.
    Momentum 90 feels like silk.
    I was comfortable down to a confirmed 24 degrees using this quilt and wearing all the clothes i had brought in the Smokey Mountains. At $200 the 19 ounce Spirit Quilt 30 is a versatile value. Get one and thank me later.
    My third fav would have been the MLD exodus i carried on the CDT and AT but i have an MLD Super Prophet I am in love with now! I'll let you know how well the Super Prophet hold up after 8,000 miles or so. :)

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Ah, another MLD fan…

a b

@ice-axe

I try to buy American made things whenever i can.
    I learned about Mountain Laurel Designs while on my first thru hike in 2009 when i met Lint carrying his MLD Exodus.
    The quality compared to my foreign made Golite amazed me. When i found out they were US made I was sold.
    It was a natural progression for me to buy an MLD shelter after seeing those in action on the PCT as well.
    When it came time to try a quilt I was within a hair of buying an Enlightened Equiptment quilt for the AT. In fact i might still get one.
    My MLD Spirit Quilt is superb for the moment.
    We all lament the fact that jobs are being outsourced. It is time we began to do something about it.
    Buy American made products where you can even if it means paying more. Provided the quality is there, and it most certainly is in spades in the cottage outdoor gear industry, why not support American manufacturing.
    I am by no means a rich man. I just spent the last three summers out of work hiking the Triple Crown. I am broke as a joke. But when i spend my money again you can bet it will be on American made gear. It's not a race thing.. it's a survival decision.
    If we cease to make things in this country what is left?
    Fast food jobs in restaurants owned by the Chinese i suspect.
    Buy American, the job you save might very well be your own.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools