Topic

Favorite piece of gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite piece of gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Just curious, what's the first thing you think of when you think about your 'favorite piece of gear?" Not necessarily the most expensive, or even the most used or versatile. While I love everything in my gear closet, my Western Mountaineering bags seem to jump out as my favorite. What's yours?

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

Just seeing the title of your post made my Western Mountaineering Highlite jump to mind. I thought it was cool that your WM bags are at the top of your list.

Other beloved gear items for me include my REI Flash 18 daypack, a Photon Freedom light, my bright yellow SAK Classic, and whatever camera I carrying at the time.

Michael

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was going to say Photon Freedom light, but that's because I just got it.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Love my WM Highlite bag, too.

Funny thing is, I love my Snow Peak Giga stove and it's probably my favorite item. But I hardly ever use it. I've been tinkering with alcohol stoves so much that I leave the Giga at home. But I love that thing. Maybe because it was one of the first light weight items I started using.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Often, the favorite piece of gear is the one which has your most emotional investment. Others are favorite because of your highest financial investment.

–B.G.–

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

My brain. I know…not what you had in mind.

Best piece of gear is usually always my shoes. If my feet are happy, the rest of me is happy. I've been using salomon xa pros. They might be heavy compared to other trail runners, but they have held up great and they're comfortable.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I feel like it's a weird favorite for a Ul'er, but I think my favorite piece of gear has to be my 1/2 zip fleece pullover with thumb holes and sleeves that cover my hands up to my knuckles. It takes up more space in my pack than almost all my other clothing items put together, but it's always the first thing I pull on at camp. It just makes me feel cozy and at home wherever I am.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"1/2 zip fleece pullover"

I had purchased a half-zip fleece pullover from the old Early Winters company about 25-30 years ago, and it had made a good warm base layer for many winter trips. Then this year I got busy with the sewing machine and converted it into a full zip. That is much better.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I love my kit as a whole, I don't own many items, but when all those items come together…..magic happens. They're all equally contributing ingredients to a great recipe.

If I had to pick one item as my "favorite piece of gear" I would have to say my shoes, they're simple, protect me, and are the last thing between the Earth and the bottom of my feet, the connecting element. I'm no nature man who can hike barefoot, so these are essential. Next in line would definitely have to be my MLD Trailstar, it's the swiss army knife of shelters.

Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

My ULA Conduit. It was my first U.L. Backpack. I got it in 2006 and still use it occasionally.

Robb Stanek
    Spectator

@rstanek

Locale: Southeast, Atlanta, GA

Either my HH Hyperlight, or my Grand Trunk Nano 7 for all other uses.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

+1 to fleece 1/2 zip. Starting to like fleece again.

OR Radiant LT. love it

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

My favorite pieces are those which are works of art in themselves, and have been beaten up and become attached to memories, preferably along the full adventures' gamut of joy and distress.

My maps, which I can stare at for hours and are still usable anytime I want to. Google earth is also a fun way to do this, but so far I haven't gotten that wet/burned/stained/sun-faded, so it doesn't count.

My paddle, a wood XY Meany bent-shaft out of Atikokan, Ontario. Not the lightest by far, but a sheer joy of a tool to hold and use.

Whatever tarp I can find myself under, especially when I most need to. Not enough of those memories being made lately.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

+1 for the MLD trailstar. Next in line would probably be my katabatic quilts. Awesome pieces of gear that impress me every time I pull them out of the pack.

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

My favorite gear is the Mini Bic lighter. For some reason, the little yellow guy brings a smile to my face. Maybe cause it's so small, or maybe because it's so easy to start a cookfire/stove with.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

My tatty dog-eared sunhat that is at least 20 years old and has been on every trip I've done since. It still does its core roles of keeping the sun, rain and sweat off my face superbly. I'd feel pretty bare without it.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

A cheap Brunton compass. Perfect for converting a 2-dimensional view of life into something much larger.

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI

I would have to say the down underquilt I made for my WBBB. It was just one of those myog pieces of gear that came out exactly how I wanted it.

Jozef _____

@derjosef

Locale: The southern border of Holland

TNF Resolve insulated

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My car — parked at trail head — at the end of a very long hike. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

LOL!!! Plus that apple left in the car!

I can't decide between my Western Mountaineering Ultralite and my Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat. The decision might go to the hat, because as I get colder with progressive old age, I'm starting to contemplate a switch to the Versalite.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Tilley hat. I wear it almost everyday around town too. If it gets dirty, throw it in the washer and it looks brand new.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Ben;

Only if it's parked at the end of the "right" trail head.

Recent trip where the car was magically *not* at the correct trail head, has made me realize how finite the circumstances of car-love can be. ;)

So what if we ended up taking an alternate trail?! The car should have known~!

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I used an aluminum flashlight for my first few trips as a teenager, so I was pretty much in awe when I discovered headlamps. Also, on purpose or not, I seem to do a lot of night hiking, so mine gets a lot of use on trail.

I have a katabatic sawatch and chisos, both of which I love. So plush. Those are probably my favorite pieces of gear at the moment.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools