Topic

Trekking pole antishock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Trekking pole antishock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Locale: Down Under

I love my bamboo staff. It's light and strong. I have added a wrist strap and a camera mount.

A missing feature I would like is an antishock system, as I find I get sore wrists towards the end of a day's walking.

Any engineering types out there with thoughts on how I could add antishock to my bamboo pole?

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

I'm no engineer, but maybe adding some foam to wherever your grip the bamboo would help? Also, maybe some grippy rubber to the bottom?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Connect your wrist strap to the staff via a loop of shock cord.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Both of these ideas seem like champs to me. I was thinking put grips on em, and Gregs idea seems very elegant, also.

Personally I don't like antishock (as a mechanism) it feels like you're sticking your poles in mud.

I'd be willing to bet that with grips, shock cord strap, and the natural flex, they would be comfy.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Show us a photo of how you are using the wrist strap. Are you really slamming the pole into the ground? I swing it with a flick of my wrist and land fairly soft on it. Never had a problem.

Slip on bicycle foam grips would be interesting. Anti-shock sucks, IMHO. Most antishock mechanisms are some sort of spring loaded plunger, so you need an independent column somewhere in the line.

I made a bamboo pole that had a broken pole tip silicone-glued into the hollow end. That allowed using pole baskets too. Worked pretty good and had a nice blended organic/high tech look. It wasn't any lighter than a typical telescoping stick :(

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Why would you want to mess up perfectly good bamboo poles with squeaky, heavy, ineffective technology?

Tape your wrists. Or stop doing it that way.

From an engineer.

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Thanks for the responses, guys and apologies for the slow reply on my part.

Greg and Pilate – I will def. give those suggestions a go.

Jason – if I had to start taping my wrists to reduce pain/inflammation, I reckon I would have to use another pole

Dale – I don't think I'm a slammer. :)

I have attached a photo of the staff as-is.Bamboo staff

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That pole looks too short for you. Could that be the cause of your discomfort?

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Is the pole too short? Well, I'm 5' 11" and the pole is 44"

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Maybe. I'm 6'3" and use 51" (130cm) poles. Do you have to bend your wrist to use that pole?

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Hi Ken

Yes, I have a slight bend in my wrist. My forearm is at slight decline from the horizontal.

Hmmm..might have to find a longer piece of bamboo!

Cheers
    Andrew

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

real quick here …

if on an uphill, the poles tends to flare outwards when you are getting tired, they are too long.
    don't shove all five fingers thru the wrist strap, leave out the thumb. that way, when it gets jammed in a rock/crack, and it will , you can let it trail behind and it will auto-disconnect.

if you can get the grip/strap combo worked out optimally, you really won't have to hold on very much.

cheers,
    off to HIKE ! (lost coast)

peter v.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, it's too short. Your forearm should be about level in that pose. I'm 5'10" and my single staff is set at 49" from tip to strap mounting. For downhill travel a little longer is good. I tend to go a little longer with a single staff too.

Also, A wrist strap that gives some support will take the load off your forearm muscles and hands. It is easy enough to tie a tubular webbing loop in a Prusik hitch. Your hand can go through with the webbing in your palm as you would do when cross-country skiing. With that, moving the pole forward is just a flick, and your weight comes down on the strap and doesn't require a tight grip. For the loop and Prusik hitch plus some extra, your staff will need to be another 8" or so longer.

I would concoct a cover for the camera screw. If you fall on that, it won't be pretty!

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Thanks, comments appreciated

mike mazzarella

@mazz1111

Locale: WNC

+1 on the too short post…

A little length (maybe 4-6") above the wrist would act as COUNTER WEIGHT when pivoting the pole …less stress on the wrist

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Andrew,

What is the external diameter of your pole at the tip and at the "handle"? What is the weight?

I'm curious because I just found out there is a grove of bamboo behind a local park and would like to give making one a go. How did you dry the bamboo? I don't want to leave it out baking in the sun incase that might split it or crack it, but whatever you did looks great.

Thanks.

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Hi Pilate

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The bamboo staff weighs 310 gms. The circumference at the top is 80mm (with a couple of ridges where there are knots) and at the bottom is 72mm.

It was cut when already someone dried out and it was another 18 months before I made it into a staff. (It may have been okay to use it for a staff earlier, but I wasn't interested in staff making at that time!)

Cheers
    Andrew

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

The diameter of the pole seems a little small, I know for me that just gripping such a thin pole would result in wrist fatigue.

+1 for wanting to see how you position the straps (if any) while walking. In the event that you use no straps, then I'd definitely blame the wrist pain on the small diameter.

Andrew Bishop
    BPL Member

@copperhead

Actually I only use the straps to stop me losing the staff when crossing rivers!

So, I am now looking for a longer and thicker length of bamboo, to which I will attach a decent strap, which I will use properly! Phew!

Thanks guys

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools